Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Factors Which Affect Our Levels of Suicide.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Factors Which Affect Our Levels of Suicide.

Back in the 90's I joined the Irish Association of Suicidology because of my concerns and personal experiences of people ending their lives at their own hands. Fast forward almost a couple of decades, and I find that more and more people now decide that they just don't want to live anymore, and leave behind them untold sadness and unanswered questions for bewildered loved ones.

These real people come from all walks of life, and from all age groups. But what makes me especially sad, is to see those statistics which show an ever increasing number of 'younger' people choosing to end their lives.

The question I keep asking myself is, are we quite literally 'missing something'?

Thoughts please, fellow members of the Politics.ie community?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Back in the 90's I joined the Irish Association of Suicidology because of my concerns and personal experiences of people ending their lives at their own hands. Fast forward almost a couple of decades, and I find that more and more people now decide that they just don't want to live anymore, and leave behind them untold sadness and unanswered questions for bewildered loved ones.

These real people come from all walks of life, and from all age groups. But what makes me especially sad, is to see those statistics which show an ever increasing number of 'younger' people choosing to end their lives.

The question I keep asking myself is, are we quite literally 'missing something'?

In addition to the current situation with the economy I suspect those constantly harping on about suicide are partially to blame.

Let

The way we approach traumatic events like bullying, sexual abuse, and exposure to war is influenced by what we are shown and the social norms that we adopt that guide our behavior. Have you ever wondered why there were so many drive-by shootings a few years ago, and now almost none? Or why before Columbine made school shootings famous, they were practically unheard of? At what point are we, and our insatiable appetite for these macabre events, creating the recipe book for destructive self-expression? When we stop reporting these events, their incidence may decrease.

all countries with a long-dark-winter and a drink problem have high suicide levels. Men are 4 times as likely as women to take their own life. Perhaps its our reluctance to fight back and defend ourselves. If some people make you miserable to the point of ending your own life then do you really want to point the gun at yourself ?

the greeks, french, spanish riot and fight. Even the Brits are far more robust in standing up for themselves. The irish seem to turn the violence in on themselves, this was also well documented during the potato famine. Commentators were amazed how readily the irish peasantry willed themselves to martyrdom.
    Last edited by Spirit Of Newgrange; 31st October 2012 at 02:55 AM.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    all countries with a long-dark-winter and a drink problem have high suicide levels. Men are 4 times as likely as women to take their own life.
    I brought up the issue of vitamin B12 on the cancer thread, and how its essential to consume adequate amounts of B12 especially when there is a lack of sunlight. B12 also contributes towards healthy brain functioning so it may help with depression in addition to preventing cancers.

Vitamin B-12 and depression: Are they related? - MayoClinic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Much of suicide and what surrounds it is taboo in Ireland - and I'm not sure that is helpful

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pragmaticapproach View Post
    In addition to the current situation with the economy I suspect those constantly harping on about suicide are partially to blame.

Let
    The word 'blame' might be a little strong, but I do worry that the current saturation coverage in the media of youth suicide might somehow elevate the act as an option in the mind of a vulnerable person.

Death might seem almost cool, or as a way to be achieve a level of post-mortem significance denied to the living. Or it might be considered the ultimate passive-aggressive way to strike back at one's tormentors.

The media certainly needs to think about the way it's covering the subject.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post

No studies have been published examining the proportional increases in suicide rates and prescription rates for antidepressants.

These medications have in recent years been both heavily and too casually overprescribed for all sorts of ailments, not just mental health issues, by those with little-to-no understanding of the pharmacology involved and have insufficient warnings on the pack inserts with regards to side effects which can include worsening of mood in those who are depressed and suicidal ideation in those who are not clinically depressed or suicidal to begin with.
    It's either very new cheese or very old meat...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But surely it is the 'burying' of real anthropological truth which has created the conditions for falsehood to attain a power not its own. I am very much in favour of the NUJ policy on suicide whereby we don't create 'copycat' precedences, but whilst this policy has been in force for many years in the industry, we still have an ever increasing level of suicide.

Young people don't read NUJ publications, yet they still continue to kill themselves in ever greater numbers sadly. We need to be asking ourselves why is this, instead of blaming those of us who simply report a sanitised version of the truth as it actually is.

Your unthinking attitude reminds me of the County Councillor who suggested that we should cut down trees, lest people drive into them deliberately; it fails to tackle root causes; (yes I see that....)

Similarly I remember at an IAS symposium I attended, addressed by no less than the then former Commissioner P. Flynn, an invited speaker from Coventry (a 'Professor' of Epedimiology), suggested that Ireland might look at the possibilities of restricting analgesic sales, and also consider building higher barriers on our motorway crossovers lest people might throw themselves from these parapets; a corrupt approach you will admit, and all the more apt, given the company he shared.

Those "harping on about suicide" are not to blame, but rather those who are not "harping on enough" about suicide are to blame, I would argue.

This is something which needs to be talked about, big time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I brought up the issue of vitamin B12 on the cancer thread, and how its essential to consume adequate amounts of B12 especially when there is a lack of sunlight. B12 also contributes towards healthy brain functioning so it may help with depression in addition to preventing cancers.
    Indeed, but man does not live on Vitamin B12 alone............

I would ask the question about our need to nourish the spiritual side to our nature....

Indeed, do we have such a side which we may starve?

Ramps

What's quite remarkable about suicide in Ireland today is that it almost seems to be just another 'option' in dealing with a perceived hardship or crisis, e.g. if a girl/boyfriend breaks up with the person in question. How did it become so commonplace and unremarkable for a person to take his life?

You look at what certain people went thru' in history-Jews, Russians, Black Americans- and how they clung on to any single thread they could find, determined to do anything to survive, regardless of the horrors they faced; compare it to what 'triggers' suicide by people today.

It makes me wonder if, in fact, the desire to die by suicide is actually just a mundane part of the make-up of many humans and would it always have been commonplace(throughout history) had it not been frowned upon, particulary by religious groups.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast