Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAS - What industry qualifications, experience do the trainers have?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FAS - What industry qualifications, experience do the trainers have?

Hi Guys,

First out - I am not here looking to have a good old cut off of FAS /Solas course trainers - This is a genuine question that I have not heard asked much anywhere:

FAS - What industry qualifications, experience do the trainers have? Do they need to have such qualifications?

( Because it is an area I know of I will concentrate on IT / Software Dev as focus for this question but feel free to comment using any other field also )

At the fas site it does not outline such detail. In the past I have learned alot of 3D design applications & techniques via paid for online Video based training courses/mentoring. All these sites detail the industry experience of the trainer in the video. In alot of cases they are already well regarded people in the industry.

eg http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Here are some of the courses that prompted me to ask this question:

Introduction to C++ Programming

JAVA ASSOCIATE DEVELOPER SE7 - Online

Mobile Technology - Android

Recently I was told by a guy who was a sales man, lost job, on dole for a year then they popped him on a Java Course. He is in his mid/late 40's, lousy at maths in school. He mentioned that this was the kind of course they were now sending people on.

Question is can we take 400,000 people + and pop them on Java, C++, Android, Iphone dev courses - spit them out after a year and expect them to get gainfully employed in a field that requires alot more experience than this and maybe foreign languages to boot?

Back to the trainers - how much industry experience do they have? Will courses like this create coding teams and actually develop apps & software? Are they project based? OR are they "turn to chapter 4 ... off you go on the PC in front of you"?

As a general thought I do not believe coding / software dev is for everyone, it takes a mind set and can take quiet a few years to actually get usefully good at it. A years FAS course will not hack it? Most dev companies NEED/WANT the employee to hit the ground running

BUT our government seems intent on pinning all our hopes on this Software Dev thing. I cannot help but feel a little scared that they have lost interest in the 450k on the dole and are more interested in the next batch coming up though College PLUS plugging the gaps with foreign workers
    Last edited by robut; 31st October 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it helps if you are connected to a politician or in some way linked to the local powerbrokers as far as i can see, certainly in the building and trades area of it. Thats seems to be the main qualifcation

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would someone GOOD! enough to TEACH Java or C++ work for Fas when they could earn €80k+ in the real world????
    Last edited by Niall Power; 31st October 2012 at 12:31 AM.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I spent a couple of days teaching an excel course to a group of fas "IT Trainers " maybe 10 or so years ago. Most of them were ex woodwork or or something else teachers whose course was surplus to requirements/discontinued. As they were permanent, they were moved over into IT . Some barely knew how to use a mouse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Buddy of mine was on a Multimedia course in FAS about 3 years ago. Instructor came in most days, opened book at a chapter and said right lads off you go. Then he sat back for class reading papers.

My buddy said he got taught for the whole course by a few tech savvy Polish in the same class.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you had to be a member/strong supporter of Fianna Fáil in the Good Old Days, not sure what the criteria now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If its ones political allegiance that gives one the trainers job in FAS, whats the point in such an organisation so? Has the gov learned anything?

This copper fastens my earlier point - the Gov have lost interest / gave up on the 450k on the dole? Hope is they all emigrate?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stroke View Post
    I think you had to be a member/strong supporter of Fianna Fáil in the Good Old Days, not sure what the criteria now.
    member of labour or of fg perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not too hopeful of the promised changes. Nothing political, the entrenched leadership in the training industry have very set views on how the job should be done and are not open to change. Personally aware of local boy made good, involved in training overseas who was ignored by powers that be when introduced. Shall we say that he's better regarded in Beijing than Dublin
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    If its ones political allegiance that gives one the trainers job in FAS, whats the point in such an organisation so? Has the gov learned anything?

This copper fastens my earlier point - the Gov have lost interest / gave up on the 450k on the dole? Hope is they all emigrate?
    Problem is it's backfiring like hell... the longterm unemployed now haven't the money left to leave

Business IT Grad mate of mine just turned down a 36.5k/yr job with a multinational in dublin because he's off to auz (with nothing lined up) in jan. In his words "i'm not sticking round here to pay off the banks"

another who was trucking on really good money left mid summer.

it was taxpaying single 22-35yr olds leaving.... now it's them and working families

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast