Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is freedom of speech withering in Greece?Why?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is freedom of speech withering in Greece?Why?

Journalism means publishing something that others are trying to hide. Everything else is public relations
    Greek journalists are now under severe pressure as Hot doc magazine editor is jailed in Greece and two journalists (Kostas Arvanitis and Marilena Katsimi) are fired by the Greek public television organization (ERT) because they analyzed claims in a Guardian’s article on tortures that allegedly took place at a police station against Anti Facist protestors.
    GREEK officials were accused of employing the tactics of persecution yesterday as a magazine editor faced court for publishing a list of alleged tax evaders and two high-profile journalists were fired from the state broadcaster.

Costas Vaxevanis, editor of the Hot Doc weekly, was ordered to answer charges on breaching privacy laws a day after he was arrested for publishing a list of more than 2000 Greeks said to hold bank accounts in a Swiss branch of HSBC.

The clash between the government and the press appeared to be nearing a crisis with a strike due to start on Tuesday on state television over the suspension of two popular presenters for mild criticism of a minister.

The state-run broadcaster announced the dismissal of Kostas Arvantitis and Marilena Katsimi after the morning news presenters discussed neo-Nazi infiltration of the police on air.

Mr Vaxevanis hit out at the rush to bring charges that could see him sentenced to two years in prison while the government has failed to pursue intelligence on tax dodgers.
    The rise of Fascist support in Greece is well documented. Commentators put this down to a combination of gradual permeation of public consciousness over a twenty year period and pauperization of a large part of the society through political failure and austerity.

Is this crackdown on press freedom another symptom of a possible slow withering up of free speech in Greece and perhaps Europe or is the very fact that today I'm writing this here today evidence that free speech in the internet age is guaranteed to filter through despite any efforts at a 'crackdown'?

greek journalists claim official persecution
    Greek anti-fascist protesters 'tortured by police' after Golden Dawn clash
    fascism rises from the depths of greeces despair
    golden dawn fascism greece
    Last edited by Lassie; 30th October 2012 at 02:24 PM.
    The choice is yours...fear or love.
    Anhtony Kane.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Greece is no longer free and sovereign, we should not be surprised if free speech is also under threat !!!!

In my mind it all started when the former Greek PM decided that the "bailout" deal should be given a vote by the Greek people. Then Sarkozy and Merkel decided to only allow a referendum that suited them, and the idea then got dropped.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They owe Germans money.

So....
    What rights?
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The EU has managed to become the "Versaille Treaty" to the Greek Facist Movement.. and people wonder why Facism is on the rise. Jesus, history tells you that this was going to happen, but it did anyway. Why are people surprised ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

What use was it in the first place? These journalists complain now when they themselves are threatened, but where were they for the last 15 years as the country slowly entered its present spiral of doom?

I find the pleas of journalists to be unconvincing. These ones are simply complaining because they missed the ticket to write for a publication backing the new regime. If it flips around and some left wing government starts jailing right wing commentators, I don't expect these guys to raise much complaint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessiveMathsFreak View Post
    W These journalists complain now when they themselves are threatened, but where were they for the last 15 years as the country slowly entered its present spiral of doom?
    A very good question.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessiveMathsFreak View Post
    What use was it in the first place? These journalists complain now when they themselves are threatened, but where were they for the last 15 years as the country slowly entered its present spiral of doom?

I find the pleas of journalists to be unconvincing. These ones are simply complaining because they missed the ticket to write for a publication backing the new regime. If it flips around and some left wing government starts jailing right wing commentators, I don't expect these guys to raise much complaint.
    Journalism means publishing something that others are trying to hide. Everything else is public relations

IMO a lot of journos perhaps summarise the press release.
    Anhtony Kane.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't believe anything that the Jew media says about Golden Dawn.

Although I support infiltration of police and military and despise the Antifa, I wouldn't condone assault or torture.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fascism tends to burn briefly.

Unfortunately the burning brightly can mean a continent-wide bloodbath.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most people prefer to be friends of their neighbours regardless of culture rather than enemies. The old facist hatred thing is just misguided people dong the will of the oppressors.
    Anhtony Kane.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast