Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fr. Brian Darcy, Turbulent priest, BBC last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fr. Brian Darcy, Turbulent priest, BBC last night.

Dont know if any of you was watching BBC programme on Brian Darcy last night. While i have not always been his greatest admirer this programme portrayed him in a positive light I think. He has given his life to the Catholic Church and he works hard and reaches out to a lot of people, across all classes. I think he has been treated unfairly by Rome - probably at the behest of some right wing members of the Church here. Also shown on the programme was Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive magazine which is not the most charitable paper I may add. In contrast to McKevitt, Darcy comes across as a shining light.

I think this programme shows the disfunctional nature of the Catholic Church here which Rome should be addressing, not the likes of harmless creatures like Brian Darcy and other priests like Tony Flannery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes .

I cant understand why he just doesn't leave and form his own church as he obviously doesn't identify with the catholic teachings that he signed up to in the first place.

He is being used by the tabloids to fuel their anti-catholic agenda , does he not realise this himself.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    Dont know if any of you was watching BBC programme on Brian Darcy last night. While i have not always been his greatest admirer this programme portrayed him in a positive light I think. He has given his life to the Catholic Church and he works hard and reaches out to a lot of people, across all classes. I think he has been treated unfairly by Rome - probably at the behest of some right wing members of the Church here. Also shown on the programme was Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive magazine which is not the most charitable paper I may add. In contrast to McKevitt, Darcy comes across as a shining light.

I think this programme shows the disfunctional nature of the Catholic Church here which Rome should be addressing, not the likes of harmless creatures like Brian Darcy and other priests like Tony Flannery.
    Don't have a lot of time for D'arcy to be honest. He seems like a bum kisser or at least that was my impression pof this long term media darling

Who or what is McKevitt? "Interesting" paper, Alive.
    Should all priests be "harmless creatures?"

Quote Originally Posted by MrD011 View Post
    I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes, he is a lunatic that craves the limelight
    His is in the limelight but I doubt he is a lunatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

D'arcy is an egotistical attention seeker. If he is away from a camera or a microphone for too long a time he comes out in a rash. His viewpoint is nor more or less relevant that so many other priests who do good work and go about it quietly without the need to appear on the Late Late Show every season.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did he have anything to say about Seanie Quinn ?

Or was that off limits ?

Maybe "reaching out" to your average ordinary Multibillionaire (well that used to be the case) is a bit much ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrD011 View Post
    I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes .

I cant understand why he just doesn't leave and form his own church as he obviously doesn't identify with the catholic teachings that he signed up to in the first place.

He is being used by the tabloids to fuel their anti-catholic agenda , does he not realise this himself.
    If the only priests were ones who agreed 100% with Vatican teaching then there would be a lot less priests.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    If the only priests were ones who agreed 100% with Vatican teaching then there would be a lot less priests.
    Here is an own goal but what Catholic priests do you admire? Don't say that stupid Fr Ted series even though Ted and Fr Trendy are modeled on you know who. I think many live in their own universes: the Pope and his sycophants, the Alive Cre and Fr D'arcy and the media. Bit like the British Tories (many of whom are RC) and dissident Republicans (many of whom are RC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If one uses as a yardstick a priest who still can connect with people (even though he may be fond of the limelight) I think Darcy has something going for him. And i dont think he is a heretic. I assume this programme was filmed before recent Quinn protests.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is the priest for celebrities. If you are famous or rich he will forgive anything you do.

He has never taken a stand on child abuse. He moans when the abuse is exposed and then starts to row back saying ‘if hurt has been caused’. A waste of space.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rev Fr Brian is the curate to the rich and famous. when did he work with the poor or do missionary work, he is a publicity seeking egotist. Was in his company on a few occasions, he will always seek out the "big" people in the room, and court their company.

As regards connecting with people , who is he connected to only the big wigs and of course himself. He is using the guise as a clergyman to court media attention, and lets face it.............what has he really to offer, apart from air time.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast