Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 139

Thread: Fr. Brian Darcy, Turbulent priest, BBC last night.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Eoin Coir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Fr. Brian Darcy, Turbulent priest, BBC last night.

    Dont know if any of you was watching BBC programme on Brian Darcy last night. While i have not always been his greatest admirer this programme portrayed him in a positive light I think. He has given his life to the Catholic Church and he works hard and reaches out to a lot of people, across all classes. I think he has been treated unfairly by Rome - probably at the behest of some right wing members of the Church here. Also shown on the programme was Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive magazine which is not the most charitable paper I may add. In contrast to McKevitt, Darcy comes across as a shining light.

    I think this programme shows the disfunctional nature of the Catholic Church here which Rome should be addressing, not the likes of harmless creatures like Brian Darcy and other priests like Tony Flannery.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member MrD011's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Baile Atha cliath
    Posts
    2,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes .

    I cant understand why he just doesn't leave and form his own church as he obviously doesn't identify with the catholic teachings that he signed up to in the first place.

    He is being used by the tabloids to fuel their anti-catholic agenda , does he not realise this himself.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    Dont know if any of you was watching BBC programme on Brian Darcy last night. While i have not always been his greatest admirer this programme portrayed him in a positive light I think. He has given his life to the Catholic Church and he works hard and reaches out to a lot of people, across all classes. I think he has been treated unfairly by Rome - probably at the behest of some right wing members of the Church here. Also shown on the programme was Fr. Brian McKevitt, editor of Alive magazine which is not the most charitable paper I may add. In contrast to McKevitt, Darcy comes across as a shining light.

    I think this programme shows the disfunctional nature of the Catholic Church here which Rome should be addressing, not the likes of harmless creatures like Brian Darcy and other priests like Tony Flannery.
    Don't have a lot of time for D'arcy to be honest. He seems like a bum kisser or at least that was my impression pof this long term media darling

    Who or what is McKevitt? "Interesting" paper, Alive.
    Should all priests be "harmless creatures?"

    Quote Originally Posted by MrD011 View Post
    I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes, he is a lunatic that craves the limelight
    His is in the limelight but I doubt he is a lunatic.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Bren Boru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    D'arcy is an egotistical attention seeker. If he is away from a camera or a microphone for too long a time he comes out in a rash. His viewpoint is nor more or less relevant that so many other priests who do good work and go about it quietly without the need to appear on the Late Late Show every season.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Did he have anything to say about Seanie Quinn ?

    Or was that off limits ?

    Maybe "reaching out" to your average ordinary Multibillionaire (well that used to be the case) is a bit much ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,433
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrD011 View Post
    I watched the programme and all I can say is that he is a media puppet , if he doesn't agree with catholic teachings why on earth is he a catholic priest , why not just leave and form his own religion were everything that suits modern society goes .

    I cant understand why he just doesn't leave and form his own church as he obviously doesn't identify with the catholic teachings that he signed up to in the first place.

    He is being used by the tabloids to fuel their anti-catholic agenda , does he not realise this himself.
    If the only priests were ones who agreed 100% with Vatican teaching then there would be a lot less priests.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    If the only priests were ones who agreed 100% with Vatican teaching then there would be a lot less priests.
    Here is an own goal but what Catholic priests do you admire? Don't say that stupid Fr Ted series even though Ted and Fr Trendy are modeled on you know who. I think many live in their own universes: the Pope and his sycophants, the Alive Cre and Fr D'arcy and the media. Bit like the British Tories (many of whom are RC) and dissident Republicans (many of whom are RC)

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Eoin Coir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If one uses as a yardstick a priest who still can connect with people (even though he may be fond of the limelight) I think Darcy has something going for him. And i dont think he is a heretic. I assume this programme was filmed before recent Quinn protests.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    He is the priest for celebrities. If you are famous or rich he will forgive anything you do.

    He has never taken a stand on child abuse. He moans when the abuse is exposed and then starts to row back saying ‘if hurt has been caused’. A waste of space.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Rev Fr Brian is the curate to the rich and famous. when did he work with the poor or do missionary work, he is a publicity seeking egotist. Was in his company on a few occasions, he will always seek out the "big" people in the room, and court their company.

    As regards connecting with people , who is he connected to only the big wigs and of course himself. He is using the guise as a clergyman to court media attention, and lets face it.............what has he really to offer, apart from air time.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •