Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to end the visa requirement for Russian visitors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Time to end the visa requirement for Russian visitors

Russians currently need a visa to visit Ireland. The cost is about 60 euro. But the real cost is the hassle of travelling to the embassy in the north-east of Moscow, and waiting weeks while the dept Justice decide. Many potential visitors don't bother.

Russia is increasingly wealthy. The average income is 50% higher than Brazil, and Brazillians do not need a visa to visit Ireland for up to 90 days.

Irish-Russia trade is increasing fast. Exports stand at half a billion, up 137% since 2009. It is 4-5 times higher than exports to Brazil.

True Economics: 30/3/2012: Irish bilateral trade with Russia - 2011 results

Travel to Ireland from Russia - whether for tourism or business - is a pain. Not only the visa, but there are no direct flights. But Ryanair is in talks to start a Dublin-Moscow route- their first entry to the vast Russian air travel market.

Irish officials contact Moscow as Ryanair ponders Russian venture - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

The EU and Russia are in protracted negotiations to end visas between Russia and Schengen area - but those talks are years from a deal. Ireland is not in Schengen, meaning we can make our own deal.

It would be good for business and trade to end the visa requirement for Russian visitors to come to Ireland.
    Last edited by seabhcan; 28th October 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Politics.ie Member TheWexfordInn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Many potential visitors don't bother.
    This is an issue I've experienced with work colleagues who are legally resident and working in London planning to holiday in Ireland but then giving up when they discover the hassle they will have getting a visa so instead holidayed within the UK. I'm specifically thinking of a Taiwanese national who wished to tour Ireland with her parents, a Ukrainian couple and a biker dude from Kazakhstan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWexfordInn View Post
    This is an issue I've experienced with work colleagues who are legally resident and working in London planning to holiday in Ireland but then giving up when they discover the hassle they will have getting a visa so instead holidayed within the UK. I'm specifically thinking of a Taiwanese national who wished to tour Ireland with her parents, a Ukrainian couple and a biker dude from Kazakhstan.
    The idiocy of the current system means that someone permanently resident in the UK may not come to Ireland, but someone on a short visitors UK visa can.

So your Taiwanese friend could invite her parents to the UK - and they can visit Ireland. But she cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Russian visa requirements for Irish visitors are onerous. As long as there is a quid pro quo by the Russians ending the requirement for ourselves to have to get a visa I think this is a no brainer.
    Honk if you're horny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Houyhnhnm View Post
    Russian visa requirements for Irish visitors are onerous. As long as there is a quid pro quo by the Russians ending the requirement for ourselves to have to get a visa I think this is a no brainer.
    Yes, the Russian visa is a pain. But there is no logic in turning away Russian businesses and investors just out of spite. Israel, for example, recently scrapped visas for Russian visitors even though Israelis still need visas to go to Russia.

And Australia has a defacto visa requirement for Irish visitors while we let them in with just a passport.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isnt the Visa requirements an EU thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ireland is not in Schengen, meaning we can make our own deal.
    Can we? I thought that, given the lack of passport controls on the ROI/NI border, immigration policies in Ireland have to be coordinated with the UK, and vice versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    Isnt the Visa requirements an EU thing?
    Thats Schengen - we are not a member.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    Can we? I thought that, given the lack of passport controls on the ROI/NI border, immigration policies in Ireland have to be coordinated with the UK, and vice versa.
    No. There are already differences. Some countries who don't need a UK visa do need an Irish visa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    No. There are already differences. Some countries who don't need a UK visa do need an Irish visa.
    Which ones?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast