Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Green's Agnew says Poots is "unfit for office" over gay adoption appeal.

Johnny Boy

Default Green's Agnew says Poots is "unfit for office" over gay adoption appeal.

BBC News - Poots decision disgrace says Green leader Steven Agnew

He said Mr Poots' decision to challenge a court ruling that unmarried couples and people in civil partnerships should be .................................................. ...At present a single gay or lesbian person can adopt, but a couple in a civil partnership cannot.

Earlier this month, High Court judge Mr Justice Treacy ruled that the ban discriminated against those in civil partnerships and breached their right to family life.
    I'm not sure what Poots is up to with this appeal, other than showboating at taxpayers' expense. The judgment was determined on the basis of clearly defined European law, and there is nothing that the DUP, or religious fundamentalists here can do about it.

Same-sex partnerships constitute "family life"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say this all the time....let them stand in their beloved GB and see how British their agenda is. Their beloved GB is a modern, secular state and they wouldn't get a look in. I short, they're core has a stronger Irish base than Sinn Fein.

Now Alanis, that's ironic, don't ya think
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by eskrimador View Post
    I say this all the time....let them stand in their beloved GB and see how British their agenda is. Their beloved GB is a modern, secular state and they wouldn't get a look in. I short, they're core has a stronger Irish base than Sinn Fein.

Now Alanis, that's ironic, don't ya think
    Ironically the DUP seem very reluctant to engage with their most natural allies, i.e. right wing Catholics.

Poots must realise that he is wasting taxpayers' money by appealing this decision. The European Court has ruled upon this twice now, and in both cases has ruled that same-sex partnerships constitute ‘family life’ under the EHR Convention. As adoption is part and parcel of family life, common sense alone should tell him that they therefore have as much right to adopt as heterosexual couples. Mr Justice Treacy's ruling simply echoes that reality. So all Poots is doing is posturing and pointlessly fighting on, and you and I are picking up the tab for this nonsense.
    Steven Agnew is right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    BBC News - Poots decision disgrace says Green leader Steven Agnew

I'm not sure what Poots is up to with this appeal, other than showboating at taxpayers' expense. The judgment was determined on the basis of clearly defined European law, and there is nothing that the DUP, or religious fundamentalists here can do about it.

Same-sex partnerships constitute "family life"
    Behaviour that is as un-British as one can get.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Behaviour that is as un-British as one can get.
    Unionists have always adopted their "Britishness" on an la carte basis anyway.
    The next time you hear unionists moaning about money "wasted" on pet Sinn Fein projects such as the Irish language, this will help to nail the lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The next time you hear unionists moaning about money "wasted" on pet Sinn Fein projects such as the Irish language, this will help to nail the lie.
    The marching season costs a fair few shillings.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ironically the DUP seem very reluctant to engage with their most natural allies, i.e. right wing Catholics.
    Were it not for the national question, it may have already happened. Evangelicals in the U.S. (who despise the RC Church just as much as their benighted Ulster counterparts) have made common cause in recent years with right wing Catholics to oppose abortion, elements of Obamacare, and various other policies favoured by liberal America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BBC News - Ireland border poll 'waste of money' says DUP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which it is. It's just Sinn Fein wasting time and money to try and satisfy the growing dissatisfaction with them among republicans.
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are perhaps worried they might lose.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast