Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Wilson v Stephen Slug it Out: Trouble at Green Party NI Mill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brian Wilson v Stephen Slug it Out: Trouble at Green Party NI Mill

Two Es in Green ? Education and Economy – and a pot-shot at Minister Poots Slugger O'Toole

Fascinating thread developing on Green Party in NI.

Alan in Belfast has written up an excellent precis of the Green Party conference, held today.

First of the comments is from the past leader (Brian Wilson) laying into the present leader (Stephen Agnew) complaining that his own role is being airbrushed out of the history of Green politics in NI. Let battle commence....

On a more substantive note, the party has selected its MEP candidate: Ross Brown. A former HM Treasury Economist, he is an articulate candidate.

His speech can be heard here:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1028625-ross...-ni-conference

I was struck by his emphasis on traditional labour values. Low pay. Workers rights. Etc.

Are the Greens trying to occupy the space that is still left vacant by the lack of a brand-Labour option?

This chimes with what Alan in Belfast notes in the thread, that a lot of emphasis was on social and economic issues, and relatively little was said about environmental issues.

Are the greens more trying to be more red than green? Are they accepting there's little interest in green issues in hard times?
    Last edited by factual; 27th October 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PS the green party have selected their MEP for the upcoming EU elections - he seems very articulate. Currently listening to his speech. Lots of good values there.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    Two Es in Green ? Education and Economy – and a pot-shot at Minister Poots Slugger O'Toole

Fascinating thread developing on Green Party in NI.

First of the comments is from the past leader (Brian Wilson) laying into the present leader (Stephen Agnew) complaining that his own role is being airbrushed out of the history of Green politics in NI.

Let battle commence....
    Who gives a fuk?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like my women like I like my coffee, with two e's in them.

Pet Sounds
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northsideman View Post
    Who gives a fuk?
    The OP is beyond Zoo
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amazing that there is never any trouble at the SF mill.You would nearly think that they were a fascistic party,who brook no dissent or thought that goes contrary to the leadership.

The Borg in fact.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    Amazing that there is never any trouble at the SF mill.You would nearly think that they were a fascistic party,who brook no dissent or thought that goes contrary to the leadership.

The Borg in fact.
    How is the Green Party seen in the PLU community? Is it regarded as being better than Alliance?

I see that there was quite a lot of criticism reserved for alliance in the speech of the Euro election candidate.

The Borg in fact.
    Whats that got to do with the price of cheese???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Borg in fact.
    In fairness, it's better than them saying they support the peace process one minute and then supporting the still active UVF the next, a la the DUP.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Listening to his Audioboo...Ross Brown was very critical of the DUP. He said the Green Party believes that the NI Executive needs to raise more revenue via tax. He attacked the Alliance as the same - economically - as the DUP.

He pointed out that Greens are the only Assemly party that opposed cuts in corpo tax. (Maybe TUV too, I am not sure). He claimed that all the Assembly parties are the same on economic terms - apart from the Greens.

He saw the Greens as being a more progressive party than the others. A sense of compassion. A concern for the vulnerable. For animal rights.

He spoke up "as an economist" championing the green economy.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast