Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: John O'Dowd and the price of school uniforms

Johnny Boy

Default John O'Dowd and the price of school uniforms

This is probably a first for me in highlighting something positive from Sinn Fein but credit where credit is due - John O'Dowd has, to his credit, been waging a campaign against posh schools who operate a deliberate policy of social apartheid by enforcing a school uniforms policy which effectively excludes children from poor backgrounds, because of of prohibitive cost.
    According to this evening's Belfast Telegraph, Mr. O'Dowd has had enough and has threatened to introduce legislation if schools continue to ignore his department's guidlines on the issue.
    In the report, apparently even a blazer alone can cost as much as 120, so it is easy to imagine that the overall cost could stretch into several hundred pounds for one child alone, and for parents on a tight budget with three kids the cost incurred could match the price of a continental holiday for two.
    It is time to call a halt to this scandal.
    Well done John O'Dowd...................credit where credit is due. My advice to you, in the unlikely event that SF policy makers ever look in on this site, is to introduce legislation to make the school headmaster legally responsible for providing free uniforms for all children, if he/she decides to breach the guidelines. My (fairly extensive) experience of teachers over the years, is that, for some reason, they are a remarkably stingy bunch generally, and seem to know the value of a pound.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

THere is a school clothing grant scheme for unemployed folk but I also feel that the schools should help those from a disadvantaged area via their school fund raising activities.My daughters blazer was 45 and the rest of the gear comes from New Look or whatever fashion shop she uses .The blazer is usually the most expensive item .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a welcome intervention from SF. What is it with schools that you need a branded PE kit. Boot socks shorts and Tee shirt was good enough for us. It is a madness. The costs for my brood is astronomical and then they leave the kit on the bus. Another wad of cash is then needed to get them ready to boot a ball around a field next week. I would like to see all schools have a simple black blazer onto which a badge could be placed, grey trousers and so on so that the housewife can go get them in Dunnes for a tenner instead of some nominated shop were a smarmy sales guy extracts the pish along with the cash for overpriced pretention
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's a posh school?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another nasty,sectarian motivated,intervention against the top class NI education system by a sous chef who can't spell C-A-T.
    The mind boggles.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Buns View Post
    What's a posh school?
    A prod school, methinks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm afraid it's nothing to do with 'posh schools' because even catholic comprehensives with large numbers of pupils from deprived backgrounds run the same system which ensures only a very limited number of retailers are allowed to supply the school uniforms resulting in costly goods.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdaly View Post
    I'm afraid it's nothing to do with 'posh schools' because even catholic comprehensives with large numbers of pupils from deprived backgrounds run the same system which ensures only a very limited number of retailers are allowed to supply the school uniforms resulting in costly goods.
    What's a catholic comprehensive when it's at home guv?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ex celt View Post
    What's a catholic comprehensive when it's at home guv?
    Ok, Catholic secondary schools then.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Ex celt View Post
    Another nasty,sectarian motivated,intervention against the top class NI education system by a sous chef who can't spell C-A-T.
    The mind boggles.
    Sectarian? What paranoid nonsense! This will benefit families living on the Shankill as much, if not more, than people living in Creggan.
    But leaving that aside for a moment, please explain how you think that expensive school uniforms contribute towards better teaching standards?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast