Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Flask defense strategy by ex Garda for nephew in drink driving incident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hip Flask defense strategy by ex Garda for nephew in drink driving incident.

At Limerick district court a Limerick hurler Mark Foley was cleared of drink diving charge after it emerged that his uncle an ex garda had given him some whiskey after he was involved in an incident and was subsequently put through the drink driving procedures. The uncle Jerry Foley put it seems, some whiskey in his coffee as the nephew "looked unwell".

The judge O'Kelly,was unhappy with the entire affair, but had to dismiss it as the state was not able to contradict it. The 1994 RTA seems to put the onus on the defense to prove that the hip flask swig actually put the accused over the line. But there is goes anyway, Foley was acquitted.
    The judge lashed out at the cuteness and conniving between the uncle and the nephew.

Judge blasts
    Last edited by Eoin Coir; 26th October 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reminds me of the story about Flann O'Brien being taken to the station on suspicion of drunk driving. The sergeant said to him that he'd be put in a cell until the doctor arrived to take a blood sample.

"The doctor, is it?", Flann is said to have answered, taking a half-bottle from his inside pocket and kncking half the contents back.

"Ye can tell him I'm drunk".

They had to let him go.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    At Limerick district court a Limerick hurler Mark Foley was cleared of drink diving charge after it emerged that his uncle an ex garda had given him some whiskey after he was involved in an incident and was subsequently put through the drink driving procedures. The uncle put, it seems, some whiskey in his coffee as the nephew "looked unwell".

The judge O'Kelly,was unhappy with the entire affair, but had to dismiss it as the state was not able to contradict it. The 1994 RTA seems to put the onus on the defense to prove that the hip flask swig actually put the accused over the line. But there is goes anyway, Foley was acquitted.

Judge blasts
    Ah, the last two untouchable Mafia groups in Ireland show their true colours once again.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At Limerick district court a Limerick hurler Mark Foley was cleared of drink diving charge after it emerged that his uncle an ex garda had given him some whiskey after he was involved in an incident and was subsequently put through the drink driving procedures. The uncle Jerry Foley put it seems, some whiskey in his coffee as the nephew "looked unwell".

The judge lashed out at the cuteness and conniving between the uncle and the nephew.

Judge blasts
    unbelievable.

The funniest bit is where the defendant claimed that when he initially admitted that he had been drinking 4-5 hours earlier (an admission of an illegal act) he did so to protect his uncle from an admission that he was given alcohol immediately before the test (not an illegal act).

I wonder if he has ever admitted to a murder he never committed because he wanted to protect an uncle from having to admit that he bought him a legally acquired and licenced target shooting pistol.

After some recent personal experiences, my confidence in the Garda is sinking ever lower. No, I don't want to hear about bad apples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the judge might have convicted, as they have no reason to believe tall tales- like in an accident - a chicken ran across the road and I had to swerve.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the judge might have convicted, as they have no reason to believe tall tales- like in an accident - a chicken ran across the road and I had to swerve.
    I wouolld have thought that a judge could refuse to accept the credibility of testimony.

I fear that the ramifications for such a judge taking on a member of the Garda famiglia would not be pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Disgraceful behaviour by an ex-Garda.

Surely in this day and age they could've done a series of tests to find out the exact effect of knocking back a shot of whiskey on a breath/blood sample. Then, just take this away from the total ? I'd also be asking where the ex-Garda got the small bottle, did he just buy it or happen to have it at home ? How many people have Hotel sized bottles of whiskey in their house....

I didn't realise from the OP that someone had been knocked down. If I was them I would bring a case myself against the driver.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Forget it Jake. It's Chinatown.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Judge blasts
    Typical of the peasant mentality in Ireland. At least their lying has been exposed and reported for all to see.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    Typical of the peasant mentality in Ireland. At least their lying has been exposed and reported for all to see.
    With a nice photograph of him laughing right at us:

And his Uncle [i presume] seeming to say "what are you going to do about it?"

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast