Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Human Face of Austerity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Human Face of Austerity.

Reading the attached article, makes me wonder why it is that we seemingly rescue an 'establishment' at the cost of ordinary people.

It includes the case of a mother who "is moving tinned food from the cupboard to the fridge to make it look full in front of the children. She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today."

When will this race to the bottom actually end?

SVP dismisses Government 'rhetoric' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 25, 2012
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just another vested interest with its begging bowl out in advance of budget day with some maudlin emotional anecdotes to ramp up the noise.

funny how through out the last 10 years when times were good - when there were lots of jobs, gov throwing money at the social welfare sector.........the poverty industry never got any smaller - only bigger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When, when ,when are the government going to lead by example and cut their own expenses and huge salaries. Enda Kenny gets paid more than Obama fgs. I am sick of services being cut for the disabled while these fat cats are being driven around in their top of the range cars.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Charities like the SVdP are exposed to the problems created by this society of unequals.

I know several people who work for this organisation and I take what they say and what their organisation says as being an accurate account of what is actually happening in this society.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    just another vested interest with its begging bowl out in advance of budget day with some maudlin emotional anecdotes to ramp up the noise.

funny how through out the last 10 years when times were good - when there were lots of jobs, gov throwing money at the social welfare sector.........the poverty industry never got any smaller - only bigger?

You must be one of McCreevy's acolytes. Gurrier is probably too mild an appendage with which to tag you. But in the interest of my blood pressure,thats as far as I'll go.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post

Nothing maudlin but plenty emotional about having no money in the house Edo. Plenty of people playing muscial cupboards with the food. Even people who are working. Life is difficult for many, many people. Especially those who have lost their jobs and would not be the traditional welfare beneficiaries. Their mindset has been one of contribution, not entitlement. Probably never thought unemployment could happen to them. Lots of cold and hunger in the leafy suburbs too. We need to look out for our neighbours.

The people who are really suffering tend to hide it. I've noticed that the mammies in the playground moaning about not being able to put on the heating are the very ones jetting off in the half-term. And are keeping Johnnie Boden in the style to which it would be great to become accustomed. 'This? I have it years'. Oh no you don't. It's just new on-line. OK - I've been drooling.

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Reading the attached article, makes me wonder why it is that we seemingly rescue an 'establishment' at the cost of ordinary people.

It includes the case of a mother who "is moving tinned food from the cupboard to the fridge to make it look full in front of the children. She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today."

When will this race to the bottom actually end?

SVP dismisses Government 'rhetoric' - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 25, 2012

This government has encouraged the race to the bottom with job bridge and the like. Whilst some bang on about "the markets" and "bond yield" etc... the real failure of FG/labour is their total and utter feeble efforts to reduce the number of people without work.

simeongrimes

She buys food going out of date as its cheaper. Her daily worry is what the family will eat today.
    I have seen this in a number of shops. At around 7 pm they start marking down the perishable stuff with yellow stickers. People gather around and pick up what they can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    Charities like the SVdP are exposed to the problems created by this society of unequals.

I know several people who work for this organisation and I take what they say and what their organisation says as being an accurate account of what is actually happening in this society.
    Quote Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
    You must be one of McCreevy's acolytes. Gurrier is probably too mild an appendage with which to tag you. But in the interest of my blood pressure,thats as far as I'll go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Irish Mammy View Post
    Nothing maudlin but plenty emotional about having no money in the house Edo. Plenty of people playing muscial cupboards with the food. Even people who are working. Life is difficult for many, many people. Especially those who have lost their jobs and would not be the traditional welfare beneficiaries. Their mindset has been one of contribution, not entitlement. Probably never thought unemployment could happen to them. Lots of cold and hunger in the leafy suburbs too. We need to look out for our neighbours.

The people who are really suffering tend to hide it. I've noticed that the mammies in the playground moaning about not being able to put on the heating are the very ones jetting off in the half-term. And are keeping Johnnie Boden in the style to which it would be great to become accustomed. 'This? I have it years'. Oh no you don't. It's just new on-line. OK - I've been drooling.
    SVP is a joke and I'd take what they say with fistfuls of salt. In the good times they were droning on about the most vulnerable. I know of these families receiving help and they are far from vulnerable. One such family received a food package from SVP the day the kids were showing my son their new DS......all 4 of them. There are people struggling but sob stories need checking to see if they are genuine. Whining about no food is a little disingenuous when there is an Xbox, Sky TV, 32'' plasma and two cars in the drive way,.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy horse 6 View Post
    This government has encouraged the race to the bottom with job bridge and the like. Whilst some bang on about "the markets" and "bond yield" etc... the real failure of FG/labour is their total and utter feeble efforts to reduce the number of people without work.
    That I agree with fully. Jobs should be the first and last thing the cabinet thinks about every day.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast