Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking: Orange Order meet Martin McGuinnes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Breaking: Orange Order meet Martin McGuinnes

BBC News - Martin McGuinness holds first talks with Orange Order

The OO have met Martin McGuinness to discuss parades.

Comment: This is historic, as the OO have up to now refused to engage with SF. A small step but an important one as one of the big issues still to be resolved north of the border is that of Orange parades. Welcome news, therefore.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Long overdue!
    Love me. Cherish me. I'm a unionist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Won't be "breaking" tomorrow.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol....

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has to welcomed, OO and former COS in the same room, wow.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OO - slow learners. Dialogue will solve this.

Though my position is the OO being banned as a hate group or either be confined to their own areas or to an empty space way out in the fields 24/7 where they can do what they want without restriction of PC regulation, but if all the residents and local community accept any decision and agreement, then happy days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this is broadly encouraging.

Parading disputes are about a lack of tolerance - a lack of respect - and if this engagement means there is respect then this is broadly speaking good news for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I, in a lot of ways have a lot of issues with Sinn Fien. However, as a Unionist I am putting bitterness aside to say I am actually impressed with Martin McGuinness and how he is handling the peace process.

He has met with the Queen, and now Orange Order. Dispite his past, I do believe he is genuine in trying to move on from the past. Sure, he still has some things he should be accountable for. I believe he has information on some things like those who are still missing.

But unlike Gerry, he is actually at least trying to move forward with more than what seems token gestures. And accept Unionists are also part of this island, and that the old Brits out stance is no longer welcome in society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post
    I, in a lot of ways have a lot of issues with Sinn Fien. However, as a Unionist I am putting bitterness aside to say I am actually impressed with Martin McGuinness and how he is handling the peace process.

He has met with the Queen, and now Orange Order. Dispite his past, I do believe he is genuine in trying to move on from the past. Sure, he still has some things he should be accountable for. I believe he has information on some things like those who are still missing.

But unlike Gerry, he is actually at least trying to move forward with more than what seems token gestures. And accept Unionists are also part of this island, and that the old Brits out stance is no longer welcome in society.
    How is Gerry Adams not trying to move forwards? Adams and McGuinness both say and do the same things. He's the party leader FFS!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post

Encouraging words. Great to see that he has made a positive impact on you and I hope it is a sign of a better future on its way in political terms.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast