Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Dealing with construction permits in Ireland as difficult as in Pakistan,Equitorial Guinea-hampers job creation

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dealing with construction permits in Ireland as difficult as in Pakistan,Equitorial Guinea-hampers job creation

See Ranking of economies - Doing Business - World Bank Group ,third column,latest World Bank Rankings. Ireland ranks 106 for difficulty in dealing with construction permits,in the company of impoverished third world countries:Ecuador 104, Pakistan 105,Equitorial Guinea 107, Dominican Republic 108. Typical advanced country rankings are UK 20,Germany 14,France 52,Canada 69 and US 17.

This Irish poor performance is a disgrace in the economic depression,given the urgent need to create jobs.

I assume nothing has been done to moderate the Irish planning appeals system that allows endless appeals. Given that the UK ranks 20th despite very stringent planning,these endless Irish appeals do little or nothing for quality of planning decisions and merely please NIMBYs and cantankerous Shell to Sea types.
    Last edited by patslatt; 26th October 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Politics.ie Member TheMushyStuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am surprised no one is discussion is. It's very strict indeed but I think it's only for individuals not for builders as they seem to build anything anywhere before the recession.
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMushyStuff View Post
    I am surprised no one is discussion is. It's very strict indeed but I think it's only for individuals not for builders as they seem to build anything anywhere before the recession.
    Has the pendulum swung too far in the other direction?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMushyStuff View Post

Politics.ie Member TheMushyStuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    When for individuals it was too far. The planning permission and all the silly restrictions they can have.
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See Ranking of economies - Doing Business - World Bank Group ,third column,latest World Bank Rankings. Ireland ranks 106 for difficulty in dealing with construction permits,in the company of impoverished third world countries:Ecuador 104, Pakistan 105,Equitorial Guinea 107, Dominican Republic 108. Typical advanced country rankings are UK 20,Germany 14,France 52,Canada 69 and US 17.

This Irish poor performance is a disgrace in the economic depression,given the urgent need to create jobs.

I assume nothing has been done to moderate the Irish planning appeals system that allows endless appeals. Given that the UK ranks 20th despite very stringent planning,these endless Irish appeals do little or nothing for quality of planning decisions and merely please NIMBYs and cantankerous Shell to Sea types.

How does the Irish planning system allow endless appeals?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I assume nothing has been done to moderate the Irish planning appeals system that allows endless appeals.
    Endless appeals? A citizen can make a submission on a planning application, and only then (if permission is granted) can they appeal to An Bord Pleanála. This must be done within 4 weeks of decision being made. If you don't make a submission, you cannot appeal.

I don't know how they did the rankings, but if you look at local development plans (which then are used to justify planning permissions granted), they (in my experience) are totally done at the behest of business interests not the wider community.