Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for the all the sheeple who paid the Household Charge

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A question for the all the sheeple who paid the Household Charge

What is the reasoning behind the exemption from paying the HHC given to people living in council houses (and other rented accommodation)? If the HHC is for local services.... surely council tenants get local services? If anything, they get more services than anyone else! It must be plain to even the meanest intelligence that the whole thing is a fraud, and an ill-constructed one at that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black George View Post
    What is the reasoning behind the exemption from paying the HHC given to people living in council houses (and other rented accommodation)? If the HHC is for local services.... surely council tenants get local services? If anything, they get more services than anyone else! It must be plain to even the meanest intelligence that the whole thing is a fraud, and an ill-constructed one at that.

If you want people to reply to your posts, you would do well not to use offensive words in the title of your OP.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black George View Post
    Please explain the bolded part. Explain the "fraud" part in detail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess people who live in council houses are like renters and its up to their landlord (ie the council) to increase their rent to cover the household charge.

So the question should be are county councils paying the household charge on their rental properties?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcha View Post
    If you want people to reply to your posts, you would do well not to use offensive words in the title of your OP.
    I apologise; but I don't know any synonyms for "Household Charge".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It says a lot about someone when they use the word sheeple. I think it means that they have no respect for anyone that has an opposing view. I tend to ignore people who use the term.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government needs money to squander and needs to take it without damaging its electoral base or its self image. To make users pay: the flat screen brigade in council houses would hurt that image as Dessie Ellis et al might object. Those who own their ow properties are legitimate targets to bully and rob. This racket has been going on since Norman times.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i did not pay the household charge for the reasons the op outlines. It clearly was not about local services or tenants public and private would be liable. I did hoever make a €100 donation to a local charity providing an excellent service.

In the UK all residents pay the council tax (their name for household tax) - it is much higher than here but local authorities there provide many more servcies than Irish local authorities so you can't compare the amounts paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As one of said sheeple, I'm afraid I can't answer your question until all the others do.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlin3 View Post
    It says a lot about someone when they use the word sheeple. I think it means that they have no respect for anyone that has an opposing view. I tend to ignore people who use the term.
    But you didn't ignore me, did you? You read the thread and took the trouble to reply to it. And you are partially right: I have no respect for any of the sheeple who paid the HHC.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast