Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: If Fianna Fáil ‘ruined’ this country, nobody admits that it also built it - Victoria White in the Examiner (25/10/12)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default If Fianna Fáil ‘ruined’ this country, nobody admits that it also built it - Victoria White in the Examiner (25/10/12)

Very interesting reading today in a piece by Victoria White (see link below). Where as I will obviously be biased in favour of her article the main point it highlights though for me is this tribal nature some people (and it's particularly prevalent around these parts) bring to the political arena. This perception that there is one type of person who thinks one defined set of ideologies and that it's not possible to be a member of said party unless you fit this very rigid mold or stereotype. This phenomenon is not confined to members of political parties in their view of each other but is engaged in by the general public. It is, as pointed out in the article, perpetuated by politicos and journalists. In my opinion, this persecution, and it is taken to extremes in the US, of "everyone else but (insert political party/candidate of choice here) is simply evil and can do no right ever" is something that is greatly holding democracy back in our country.

Irish Examiner

Another point it seemingly asks is, if a party can go from good to bad, what is to stop it returning to good again? Most posters here would agree that Fianna Fáil under Lemass was progressive both economically and socially for the times and that, economically, the '87 minority or "Tallaght Strategy" government sowed the seed for two decades of relative prosperity. Why does the poor economic planning when, seemingly the writing was on the wall, of the 00's preclude a party from reforming as before especially when the public have accepted a reformed FG, Labour and ever increasingly it seems SF? Historical precedent says such a turnaround is indeed possible even after a Bailout and temporarily loss of partial sovereignty (UK Labour party after 1976).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rufty; 25th October 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Fix Link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You built nothing

Instead you ripped up tram/rail lines across Ireland and tore down beautiful Georgian buildings.

FF...a party of gobsh1tes.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The biggest problem FF has.. or at least most dyed in the wool FFers.. is that they still don't really understand the fact that they did anything wrong.. and when they do admit to any wrongdoing, they are convinced it was someone elses fault..

Lehmans

The Regulators

The EU/IMF

The Opposition (for not Opposing enough FFS)

Have you ever heard the fable of the Scorpion and the Frog... FF are like the scorpion, and if ever allowed back near the levers of power of the economy, they will f**k it up again (is three times in a generation not enough for ye ?)... because.. well, because that's what ye do
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All you're going to meet is a barrage of abuse.
    Nevermind the good points, there's gonna be a deluge of jokes on pi$$-ups, crying on telly, brown envelopes, racing tents, sartorial elegance and sympathising on the death of das fuhrer.
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't think of the posters name but someone on this site has a signature that reads:

Fianna Fail: Keeping Ireland poor since 1927.

So true.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She must be infected by time her hubby Eamon Ryan spent in time out with FF. This chic is too young to remember Dev's civil war, economic way,but she is young enough to recall the destruction of country by FF in 1977, and again by Bertie, McCreevy and Biffo in more recent years.

Shows the effect being in bed with maFFia can have, even though hubby went down with Titanic !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting that she ignores every achievement of the Free State Government (establishing democracy and the institutions of state, achieving energy independence with the Shannon Scheme) and the Inter-Party governments (declaring a Republic and re-shaping our interaction with the world).

It was these achievements which the Ahern/Cowen governments put at peril, not whether university professors got paid or not.

A jaundiced and lazy column.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well for my two penny worth I never blamed FF for ruining the country while admitting they did a good job back in the day off building it up. To point out however regardless off who is to blame for the downturn things are indeed in quiet a bad spot now a days and despite every one laying the blame at the banks I don't.
    As for the likes off the add on parties that ultimately always pop up the big two [FF,FG been the big two just in case some cat tell] all they can do is mutter under their breath while trying to sound important. The greens did it the PD's did it and now Lab are doing it. SF on the other hand I can not see making it on to the government's benches any year soon so I just dont bother with them in the lest.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very hard hitting piece.

"It’s the terrible unfairness I can’t stand. And the terrible snobbery. But the truth is that Fianna Fáil doesn’t matter very much.

What matters is that our political parties are clientelist. What matters is that our media are bigoted. What matters is that our political differences are tribal."
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not to give fodder to the tin foil hat brigade, but is this the same Victoria Ryan who's married to Eamon??...and daughter of a former controller of RTE?.

Edit: Sorry Eoin, missed your earlier post

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast