Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: James Reilly meets with NAMA

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member emulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default James Reilly meets with NAMA

    James Reilly and some of his officials met with NAMA in April of this year. This would've been after a site for Balbriggan was chosen by the HSE, but before Balbriggan was chosen. Balbriggan subsequently made it onto a list of 35 sites despite being #44 on the list. They discussed various topics including Primary Care Centers, during which Balbriggan was mentioned.... but not any specific address.

    Here's a response to a PQ from Pierce Doherty (SF):

    My officials and I met once this year with NAMA on 20 April 2012. Within its commercial remit NAMA advises that it is at all times open to proposals which can contribute to the achievement of broader social and economic objectives.
    In this context many issues of interest to the health services were discussed. A record of the meeting shows that a number of PCC locations were discussed, including Balbriggan. However, no specific address was mentioned.
    Reilly discussed Balbriggan as location for primary care centre with NAMA

    From namawinelake who had the story yesterday:

    “Deputy Joe Higgins should note that the site is under the control of NAMA and that, as a consequence, Mr. Murphy does not gain. NAMA gains if there is any gain. NAMA represents the people in trying to get back the moneys that were lost.” Minister for Heath James Reilly in Dail debate on 3rd October, 2012
    Health minister James Reilly discussed Balbriggan site with NAMA in April 2012 « NAMA Wine Lake

    From the NAMA site:

    Under Section 221 of the NAMA Act, it is an offence to attempt to lobby NAMA. An officer or Board member of NAMA is obliged to report any such attempt to a member of the Garda Síochána and failure to do so is itself an offence.
    Offence to Lobby NAMA - National Asset Management Agency


    Is this the last straw for those that have supported him in both Fine Gael and Labour?

    Will Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore continue to back this man or do they now have to face up to the fact that he is not only a liability to the DoH, but also to their leadership?

    Reference: These links appeared on the "O'Reilly/Sunday Times" thread.
    Last edited by emulator; 25th October 2012 at 04:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Mr Gilmore seems happy enough, "he has no wish to track the meetings held by Health Minister James Reilly in relation to proposals to build a primary care centre in his own constituency."

    Tánaiste: I don't want to 'track' Health Minister » Roscommon Herald
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It comes down to who knew what? It be interesting to see who the officials were who met with NAMA besides Reilly? You'd also have to wonder whether Roisin knew about this meeting? More to the point did Enda or Gilmore have any prior knowledge that this meeting was due to or had taken place?

    I find it extremely hard to believe that a delegation from the DoHC would meet with NAMA and discuss a number of PCC locations without discussing possible sites that would be on their portfolio. This section of Reilly's PQ response is also particularly interesting;

    Within its commercial remit NAMA advises that it is at all times open to proposals which can contribute to the achievement of broader social and economic objectives.
    Now you'd have to wonder what kind of commerical proposals did Reilly and his officials put to NAMA at that meeting?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member emulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    It comes down to who knew what? It be interesting to see who the officials were who met with NAMA besides Reilly? You'd also have to wonder whether Roisin knew about this meeting? More to the point did Enda or Gilmore have any prior knowledge that this meeting was due to or had taken place?

    I find it extremely hard to believe that a delegation from the DoHC would meet with NAMA and discuss a number of PCC locations without discussing possible sites that would be on their portfolio. This section of Reilly's PQ response is also particularly interesting;



    Now you'd have to wonder what kind of commerical proposals did Reilly and his officials put to NAMA at that meeting?
    Many questions alright. I'm puzzled as to why Balbriggan was mentioned at all at the meeting. At that point it was #44 on the list. Is Mr Reilly suggesting they discussed all the PCCs on the list.

    Or were they discussing the Balbriggan site because he had a good idea at some point in the future.... it would find it's way into the top 35.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    wasn't he a clever sneaky Lenhan to make both lobbying NAMA and NAMA not reporting lobbying an offence

    if the lobbied NAMA staff member does not report it (because for example it was an overweight Minister - just speculating) then it is in both their interest to deny that any lobbying occurred.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    Many questions alright. I'm puzzled as to why Balbriggan was mentioned at all at the meeting. At that point it was #44 on the list. Is Mr Reilly suggesting they discussed all the PCCs on the list.

    Or were they discussing the Balbriggan site because he had a good idea at some point in the future.... it would find it's way into the top 35.
    He met with NAMA in April, and in June 2012 he was able to tell the Fingal Independent that he's "very pleased to say the one in Balbriggan is running ahead and we hope to have some news on that in the not-too-distant future,". In that interview he also told reporters that "there are negotiations going on and it’s down to price now and who knows the price of anything these days." It then turns out that the HSE picks Rhonellan developments as the preferred bidder to develop a PCC in Balbriggan, but the one complication is that Murphy who is in NAMA actually owns the lands that AJ Noonan is looking to develop upon. Then we have the list of 35 PCC locations which happened to see Balbriggan being bumped up the list as a result of Reilly adding 15 more locations to the HSE's original 20.

    It's such a pity that NAMA isn't subject to FOI. Having said that, I presume that the delegation from the HSE and DoHC (one would expect they were the officials) would have minuted the meeting. If not, one would think that they would have received a copy of the minutes.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dublin Mid West
    Posts
    2,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    wasn't he a clever sneaky Lenhan to make both lobbying NAMA and NAMA not reporting lobbying an offence

    if the lobbied NAMA staff member does not report it (because for example it was an overweight Minister - just speculating) then it is in both their interest to deny that any lobbying occurred.
    Full protection for the whistleblowers nothing to see here...

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Howya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lass' sie nach Irland kommen
    Posts
    1,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As the NWL site succinctly points out - how the hell did Reilly know about the loan status. To me, that is a clear indication that something is rotten
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member emulator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    He met with NAMA in April, and in June 2012 he was able to tell the Fingal Independent that he's "very pleased to say the one in Balbriggan is running ahead and we hope to have some news on that in the not-too-distant future,". In that interview he also told reporters that "there are negotiations going on and it’s down to price now and who knows the price of anything these days." It then turns out that the HSE picks Rhonellan developments as the preferred bidder to develop a PCC in Balbriggan, but the one complication is that Murphy who is in NAMA actually owns the lands that AJ Noonan is looking to develop upon. Then we have the list of 35 PCC locations which happened to see Balbriggan being bumped up the list as a result of Reilly adding 15 more locations to the HSE's original 20.

    It's such a pity that NAMA isn't subject to FOI. Having said that, I presume that the delegation from the HSE and DoHC (one would expect they were the officials) would have minuted the meeting. If not, one would think that they would have received a copy of the minutes.
    There may be minutes to the meeting. But we might need a logistical logarithmic progression decoder to read them That would be way above us mere mortals. Reilly is snookered here. Why was Balbriggan mentioned at the meeting if it was #44 on the list ?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    There may be minutes to the meeting. But we might need a logistical logarithmic progression decoder to read them That would be way above us mere mortals. Reilly is snookered here. Why was Balbriggan mentioned at the meeting if it was #44 on the list ?
    Cos, it's possible that he intended to bump Balbriggan up that list back in April....and I'll prefix that by saying it's purely conjecture ! Rhonellan only has until the end of Oct to submit his planning application under the conditions of the letter of intent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •