Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers FC supporters to help fund Glasgow's 'Famine memorial'.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rangers FC supporters to help fund Glasgow's 'Famine memorial'.

Supporters of the Scottish Third Division outfit have pledged to help fund a memorial in Glasgow to the victims of the ‘Great Irish Famine’. The Rangers Supporters Assembly has given its backing. A year after New Labour came into power in Britain, Tony Blair PM apologised for Britain's role in the famine saying the government had 'failed their people'. Now the RSA has pledged funding for this new memorial.

“The Irish Famine was a terrible tragedy for the whole of that island and also had an effect in the north of Scotland,” said RSA president Andy Kerr.

It's a far cry from the infamous 'Famine Song' sang by a section of the Rangers' support. This will go a long way to improve relations between the two big rivals in Glasgow, and perhaps make amends for 'The John B. Sails' cover that directly poked fun inadvertently at the Irish Famine, which affected many of differing traditions across the country as famine is a non-sectarian event.

The decision has been applauded by all Scottish parties and a welcomed development to help build a fitting memorial and although a lighter subject, albeit about a sad issue, it's designed to help lighten the mood on the NI forum that has been at a low over the last few days. There has been some vicious name calling and quite chilling jokes in this forum, so here's a good story coming from Glasgow about a new Famine memorial that is to be erected. I know there are quite a few Celtic and Rangers supporters in the NI forum, hence posting here, if it's moved by our eagle-eyed mods, c'est la vie.

Rangers supporters group to donate money towards construction of Potato Famine memorial - Top stories - Scotsman.com
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Saw this posted on londongegory's FB profile page by a RTID NI member the other day, though unsurprisingly it got no attention, unlike other comments on his FB page that slander and attack anything related to Irishness which get dozens of replies in laughter and bile.

Anyway, good to see this and definitely a step in the right direction. So well done to all those involved in this initiative.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Supporters of the Scottish Third Division outfit have pledged to help fund a memorial in Glasgow to the victims of the ‘Great Irish Famine’. The Rangers Supporters Assembly has given its backing. A year after New Labour came into power in Britain, Tony Blair PM apologised for Britain's role in the famine saying the government had 'failed their people'. Now the RSA has pledged funding for this new memorial.

“The Irish Famine was a terrible tragedy for the whole of that island and also had an effect in the north of Scotland,” said RSA president Andy Kerr.

It's a far cry from the infamous 'Famine Song' sang by a section of the Rangers' support. This will go a long way to improve relations between the two big rivals in Glasgow, and perhaps make amends for 'The John B. Sails' cover that directly poked fun inadvertently at the Irish Famine, which affected many of differing traditions across the country as famine is a non-sectarian event.

The decision has been applauded by all Scottish parties and a welcomed development to help build a fitting memorial and although a lighter subject, albeit about a sad issue, it's designed to help lighten the mood on the NI forum that has been at a low over the last few days. There has been some vicious name calling and quite chilling jokes in this forum, so here's a good story coming from Glasgow about a new Famine memorial that is to be erected. I know there are quite a few Celtic and Rangers supporters in the NI forum, hence posting here, if it's moved by our eagle-eyed mods, c'est la vie.

Rangers supporters group to donate money towards construction of Potato Famine memorial - Top stories - Scotsman.com
    Fair fks to them, this sort of thing helps in the long run.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice one. Hope it makes some people think
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Saw this on the new last night.

One guy said when he found out ‘Protestants perished too’ that it was ‘worthy of support’

Politics.ie Member Portadown madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fontenoy View Post
    Any other Unionist what to make a profound and interesting contribution
    No not really, i could not give a fiddles feck about Glasgow Rangers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Portadown madman View Post
    No not really, i could not give a fiddles feck about Glasgow Rangers.
    What about protestants who died in the famine. Fiddlers feck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fontenoy View Post
    What about protestants who died in the famine. Fiddlers feck?
    To be honest i'd be more concerned about those who are starving to death in the horn of Africa today, the money could be better spent.
    Don't tread on me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centauro View Post
    To be honest i'd be more concerned about those who are starving to death in the horn of Africa today, the money could be better spent.
    Fair comment, the dead are dead but I see it as a worthy gesture by Rangers fans to contribute to a memorial and I applaud them for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A pretty good gesture, as many from this island still travel to see them each week.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast