Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 104

Thread: Kerry - the rural county with the highest Muslim population

  1. #1

    Default Kerry - the rural county with the highest Muslim population

    One of the more surprising stats from Census 2011 is that with 1,510 adherents, Kerry has a higher Islamic population than any county outside of Dublin, Cork and Limerick. The Tralee figure is 833, almost double the number of Church of Ireland believers at 480. Aside from a number of Saudi medical students attending IT Tralee, there hasn't been a significant surge in the incidence of Islamic clothing in the county town, so does this indicate that the Kingdom's Muslims belong to relatively moderate branches of the religion?
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Or will Samis' little empire at Inch Beach expand to take over all of Kerry, Munster, Ireland, the world ?
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Do a vox pop of the local pubs and you'll quickly get your answer about Muslim moderation.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

  4. #4

    Default

    Did ya hear the one about the Kerry Man who went on a Jihad Mission?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member TheMushyStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The People's Republic of Cork
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Do a vox pop of the local pubs and you'll quickly get your answer about Muslim moderation.
    Yeah, the local pub will be filled those Saudi Muslims drinking, just like do it in the Middle-East.
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member cogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Muslims who live in Kerry who have a septic take and who have broadband...clever computer guys can dig down into the census results...interesting if not very useful..maybe?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Kerrygold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    4,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quite a few work in Kerry General Hospital.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Casualbets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    One of the more surprising stats from Census 2011 is that with 1,510 adherents, Kerry has a higher Islamic population than any county outside of Dublin, Cork and Limerick. The Tralee figure is 833, almost double the number of Church of Ireland believers at 480. Aside from a number of Saudi medical students attending IT Tralee, there hasn't been a significant surge in the incidence of Islamic clothing in the county town, so does this indicate that the Kingdom's Muslims belong to relatively moderate branches of the religion?
    It may have something to do with the Kerry accent being somewhat similar to the general middle-eastern/north african one....

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Mountaintop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Caught between the moon and New York City
    Posts
    1,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Septic Frank View Post
    Did ya hear the one about the Kerry Man who went on a Jihad Mission?
    Errmm...I dunno..
    Blew up a beauticians because he was 'at war with the great Spray-tan'??

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Casualbets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Do a vox pop of the local pubs and you'll quickly get your answer about Muslim moderation.
    Yes the local publicans aren't one bit bit pleased about muslim moderation. They just come in, have a fanta and a bag of crisps and just sit there yapping all night....

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •