Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: The American President

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The American President

    Now that the American Presidential election is upon us it got me wondering about our own President, Taoiseach and Oireachtas. Should our "Constitutional Convention be looking at our whole system of government.
    I think we should look to America and France and adopt a system were we directly elect the leader of our government what they call President but we can call Taoiseach. To me the American system serves them well as the President is forced to work with the US Congress which may or may not be controlled by his own party and has to
    work very hard to get consensus unlike our current system where the governing parties can force everything through using the whip system.
    The last 4 years of austerity and the previous 20 years of boom and bust have shown me that our politicians are not up to the job of running our country properly so maybe it is time for us to enforce checks and balances on them. Only allow our Taoiseach to serve 2 terms and make him / her directly accountable to the people.

    What do the rest of you think / any ideas?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ANONG View Post
    Now that the American Presidential election is upon us it got me wondering about our own President, Taoiseach and Oireachtas. Should our "Constitutional Convention be looking at our whole system of government.
    I think we should look to America and France and adopt a system were we directly elect the leader of our government what they call President but we can call Taoiseach. To me the American system serves them well as the President is forced to work with the US Congress which may or may not be controlled by his own party and has to
    work very hard to get consensus unlike our current system where the governing parties can force everything through using the whip system.
    The last 4 years of austerity and the previous 20 years of boom and bust have shown me that our politicians are not up to the job of running our country properly so maybe it is time for us to enforce checks and balances on them. Only allow our Taoiseach to serve 2 terms and make him / her directly accountable to the people.

    What do the rest of you think / any ideas?
    You seem to blame all politicians equally? Surely Fianna Fáil were to blame?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Dasayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I agree with much of what you say ANONG. Co-incidentally, I just made this post in another thread

    http://www.politics.ie/forum/politic...ml#post5940945
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

    - Joe MacAnthony

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kerry South
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If I was going to copy somebody else's political system it would not the USA's. Seems to be constantly deadlocked, even more in thrall to big business than ours and with a very small range of political voices.

    No I prefer the parliamentary system (though maybe it's just because that's what I'm used to). Look what you get with executive presidencies: Sarkozy, Putin, Bush 1&2...

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,329
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ANONG View Post
    Now that the American Presidential election is upon us it got me wondering about our own President, Taoiseach and Oireachtas. Should our "Constitutional Convention be looking at our whole system of government.
    I think we should look to America and France and adopt a system were we directly elect the leader of our government what they call President but we can call Taoiseach. To me the American system serves them well as the President is forced to work with the US Congress which may or may not be controlled by his own party and has to
    work very hard to get consensus unlike our current system where the governing parties can force everything through using the whip system.
    The last 4 years of austerity and the previous 20 years of boom and bust have shown me that our politicians are not up to the job of running our country properly so maybe it is time for us to enforce checks and balances on them. Only allow our Taoiseach to serve 2 terms and make him / her directly accountable to the people.

    What do the rest of you think / any ideas?
    One problem with the US system is that while the people get to elect the President, they do not really elect the government, given that the cabinet are entirely Presidential nominations approved by the Senate; generally the cabinet members have not been elected to any office by the public.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    One problem with the US system is that while the people get to elect the President, they do not really elect the government, given that the cabinet are entirely Presidential nominations approved by the Senate; generally the cabinet members have not been elected to any office by the public.
    True, it's an inherently undemocratic process. Also the power that the President actually holds is grossly overstated in public discourse.

  7. #7
    MrFunkyBoogaloo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ANONG View Post
    Now that the American Presidential election is upon us it got me wondering about our own President, Taoiseach and Oireachtas. Should our "Constitutional Convention be looking at our whole system of government.
    I think we should look to America and France and adopt a system were we directly elect the leader of our government what they call President but we can call Taoiseach. To me the American system serves them well as the President is forced to work with the US Congress which may or may not be controlled by his own party and has to
    work very hard to get consensus unlike our current system where the governing parties can force everything through using the whip system.
    The last 4 years of austerity and the previous 20 years of boom and bust have shown me that our politicians are not up to the job of running our country properly so maybe it is time for us to enforce checks and balances on them. Only allow our Taoiseach to serve 2 terms and make him / her directly accountable to the people.

    What do the rest of you think / any ideas?
    I think we should abolish the whip system and have the power of recall.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,329
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Septic Frank View Post
    True, it's an inherently undemocratic process. Also the power that the President actually holds is grossly overstated in public discourse.
    Checks and balances to the point of paralysis is what it often looks like to an outsider. On top of which, even a newly-elected first-term president is almost immediately thrust into election mode.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,329
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    I think we should abolish the whip system and have the power of recall.
    So, you'd effectively abolish the ability of government to govern?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    One problem with the US system is that while the people get to elect the President, they do not really elect the government, given that the cabinet are entirely Presidential nominations approved by the Senate; generally the cabinet members have not been elected to any office by the public.
    And look how our current system works with an unelected civil servant Sir Humphrey Appleby basically running the department for a minister who is still essentially a glorified town councilor and cumman chairman who has to run down to his constituency every other day to press the flesh at a funeral. Why not have person appointed to for the duration of the President's term to do the top job?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •