Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where now for Loyalists?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Where now for Loyalists?

"Loyalists should not get drawn onto the terrain of equality which serves Sinn Fein interests, but instead advocate inclusivity. Loyalists cannot talk meaningfully about equality in comparable terms to Sinn Fein. No, the way into the debate about what loyalism can do to underpin peace and find a purposeful role in the ‘post-conflict’ environment can come from trying to reclaim the concepts of inclusivity and ‘a shared future’. This requires using each not just for loyalists but for all"
    Need for loyalist engagement - Local - Belfast Newsletter

Interesting article, but the authors fail to recognise that Loyalists, especially in Belfast, have thrown their lot in with the Orange Order and the marching bands. Senior Unionist politicians jumped on this bandwagon over the summer to give the impression that Loyalists/Unionists need to stand together to face a "threat to their culture". Hence the DUP will scoop their votes.

Some marches no longer take place and Unionist/Loyalist culture has not collapsed, but it's handy to get the plebs (to quote an ex tory whip) excited.

You cannot reclaim the concepts of inclusivity and a shared future if the politicians, paramilitary leaders and loyal orders never claimed to believe in them in the first place.

Left wing politics does not sit well with the right wing views of the Loyal Orders and Unionism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Figaroni View Post
    "Loyalists should not get drawn onto the terrain of equality which serves Sinn Fein interests, but instead advocate inclusivity. Loyalists cannot talk meaningfully about equality in comparable terms to Sinn Fein. No, the way into the debate about what loyalism can do to underpin peace and find a purposeful role in the ‘post-conflict’ environment can come from trying to reclaim the concepts of inclusivity and ‘a shared future’. This requires using each not just for loyalists but for all"
    Need for loyalist engagement - Local - Belfast Newsletter

Interesting article, but the authors fail to recognise that Loyalists, especially in Belfast, have thrown their lot in with the Orange Order and the marching bands. Senior Unionist politicians jumped on this bandwagon over the summer to give the impression that Loyalists/Unionists need to stand together to face a "threat to their culture". Hence the DUP will scoop their votes.

Some marches no longer take place and Unionist/Loyalist culture has not collapsed, but it's handy to get the plebs (to quote an ex tory whip) excited.

You cannot reclaim the concepts of inclusivity and a shared future if the politicians, paramilitary leaders and loyal orders never claimed to believe in them in the first place.

Left wing politics does not sit well with the right wing views of the Loyal Orders and Unionism.
    You've hit the nail on the head. Unionsim/loyalism cannot get away from it's sectarian roots. Always has been the way, always will be the way.

"I suppose I am about as high up in the Orange Institution as anybody else. I am very proud indeed to be Grand Master of the loyal County of Down. I have filled that office many years, and I prize that far more than I do being Prime Minister. I have always said I am an Orangeman first and a politician and Member of this Parliament afterwards. ... The Hon. Member must remember that in the South they boasted of a Catholic State. They still boast of Sourthern Ireland being a Catholic State. All I boast is that we are a Protestant Parliament and Protestant State."
    James Craig, Unionist Party, then Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, 24 April 1934

Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The drug induced stupor will see a slow death for them.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their views and outlook are the antithesis of inclusivity. Loyalism is based on exclusivity, and the illusion of victim/siege mentality.

SF and Irish republicanism has progressed, evolved and modernised, while loyalists are still stuck in the trenches filled with bigotry.

They think that trying to get them to become more civilised and more respectful is an attack on their "culture" The lack of leadership within loyalism is astounding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where now for Loyalists? Larne Port?

I jest of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The loyalsists have zero to offer but sectarianism and their only way to stay in the game is to stoke trouble, ably abetted by elements of the loyal orders and many unionist politicians.

They try to portray themselves as a reflection of Sinn Fein but today, they are more comparable to the loonier element of dissident republicanism. In fairness to the majority of loyalists, they did not return any of them to the assembly last time because, despite the best efforts of the MSM and the police, people in the area know the truth. They are a bunch of thugs who have been over indulged and use the threat of a return to sectarian violence to get their childish was eg. How they reacted to their wee pub being confiscated by painting childish messages all over it.

These guys belong in Maghaberry, not Stormont
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Hon. Member must remember that in the South they boasted of a Catholic State. They still boast of Sourthern Ireland being a Catholic State. All I boast is that we are a Protestant Parliament and Protestant State."
    James Craig, Unionist Party, then Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, 24 April 1934
    True dat.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Winkie Ervine, who was left to be the spokesman for Loyalism/Unionism after the mass breach of the parades commission determination on "black" Saturday has said that the UVF can't go away because it has a "corporate identity"!

In the name of good f**k, is this all they have to offer?

Working class loyalists have been used and abused by the OO and big house Unionism for centuries.

Ironically, it was Paisley who helped bring them down, now the DUP do the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the UVF are registered in the Company's Office and pay tax? By royal appointment so. Corporate identity me hole. Another load of steaming sh!t by loyalism.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    Winkie Ervine, who was left to be the spokesman for Loyalism/Unionism after the mass breach of the parades commission determination on "black" Saturday has said that the UVF can't go away because it has a "corporate identity"!
    I read that in absolute disbelief last night.

winker Irvine either means the racketeering, extortion and drug dealing aspect of the UVF, or because the UVF and loyalism as a whole see the UVF as just a continuation and the same grouping of the 1912 UV, in which they sell many a memorabilia that more than implies this, with the same symbols etc., or maybe as Ren says, it's just another load of steaming sh!t by loyalism.

It's quite frankly pathetic.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast