Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Trouble at SNP mill: Alex Salmond accused of lying over EU legal advice

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default More Trouble at SNP mill: Alex Salmond accused of lying over EU legal advice

BBC News - Scottish independence: Salmond denies lying over EU advice

Did Alex mislead or lie in explaining whether he sought legal advice on Scotland's position in the European Union?

As the BBC report points out: Andrew Neil asked Alex Salmond in March if he "sought advice from your own law officers" on the matter of Scotland's future in Europe.

Mr Salmond replied that "we have, yes, in terms of the debate" and said the advice can be read "in the documents that we have put forward which argue the position that we would be a successor state".

To most people this sounds like legal advice had been sought but in fact no such advice has been sought.

This comes shortly after two MSPs have resigned, slashing the First Minister's majority to one.

Comment: A bad week for the previously unflappable Salmond.
    Last edited by factual; 24th October 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unionists are getting a little bit rattled ain't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post

Did Alex mislead or lie in explaining whether he received legal advice on Scotland's position in the European Union?

As the BBC report points out: Andrew Neil asked Alex Salmond in March if he "sought advice from your own law officers" on the matter of Scotland's future in Europe.

Mr Salmond replied that "we have, yes, in terms of the debate" and said the advice can be read "in the documents that we have put forward which argue the position that we would be a successor state".

To most people this sounds like legal advice had been received but in fact no such advice has been received.

This comes shortly after two MSPs have resigned, slashing the First Minister's majority to one.

Andrew Neil eh? What would Mary Lou think?
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a documentary on BBC the other night about Donald Trump destroying part of Scotland for yet another golf course, and Salmond didn't come out looking too good.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is obviously a critical issue for Scottish Indpendence and unprecedent. Never before has a part of a EU state broken away. Do they have to apply as a new state and go through all that process or are they instantly a member? I don't know if there's anything in the Treaties on it either. I've never seen anything on it.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eyelight View Post
    There was a documentary on BBC the other night about Donald Trump destroying part of Scotland for yet another golf course, and Salmond didn't come out looking too good.
    Did you expect the BBC to portray Salmond in any other light?
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    This is obviously a critical issue for Scottish Indpendence and unprecedent. Never before has a part of a EU state broken away. Do they have to apply as a new state and go through all that process or are they instantly a member? I don't know if there's anything in the Treaties on it either. I've never seen anything on it.
    In fairness I suspect Scotland would meet all the necessary criteria to be members and would automatically remain in the EU unless they wanted out...

On her own however, Scotland would be in deep sh!t if she had to fully fund RBS...

And when North Sea oil and gas run out she's gonna be struggling...

Salmond is a gobsh!te imo... a bit like Gerry Adams...

Obsessed with independence at any cost without any real plan or vision for afterwards...

I doubt most intelligent Scots are going to risk handing over their country to him and his ilk... which is why he's having to resort to 16 and 17 year olds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    In fairness I suspect Scotland would meet all the necessary criteria to be members and would automatically remain in the EU unless they wanted out...
    I'd imagine so as well and obviously they wouldn't want out. However it might not be that simple legally, although at that I imagine laws would be bent if needed be.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it just me or does anyone else find Nicola Sturgeon even more irritating than Salmond?

She first triggered my irritation radar when Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was released, a period during which Sturgeon was rarely away from the media...

And she's continued to trigger my irritation radar ever since...

Can't stand her really...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did Alex mislead or lie in explaining whether he sought legal advice on Scotland's position in the European Union?

To most people this sounds like legal advice had been sought but in fact no such advice has been sought.

Interestingly scottish thinktank the democratic alliance has argued that Scotland would be better off in EFTA operating the EEA agreement rather than being EU members. However Salmonds social democrat agenda would have to be externally funded as it is not economicially sustainable.
    The other side are also guilty of scaremongering about Scotland being forced to join the euro and schengen. These opt-outs would be part of Scotlands terms of engagement.

Scottish Democratic Alliance - Scotland in Europe

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast