Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: World Population and you.

Default World Population and you.

As world population is expected to reach 7 billion in the next few weeks, I have been very firmly put in my place with regard to my individual value to the world.

When I was born I was the 3,024,902,108th person to be alive at that time and the 76,663,955,947th person to have ever lived.

BBC News - 7 billion people and you: What's your number?

Reaching the 7 billion figure has many impacts, which may or may not be discussed in this thread, but to find your individual insignificance staring you in the face is a pretty good place to start the conversation.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    Reaching the 7 billion figure has many impacts.
    what impacts exactly at reaching 7billion?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    I guess the demand on resources has since doubled from the time the OP was born. Lifestyle choices have also added to material pocession and therefoe increased consumption of raw materials.
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    We are entering uncharted waters Dylan, the BBC site tells us on the results page that,

It is estimated that your group of the richest countries consumes double the resources used by the rest of the world. The UN estimates that if current population and consumption trends continue, by the 2030s we will need the equivalent of two Earths to support us.
    Now as a technologist with a decent grasp of where exactly in their development various technologies are I can say that tech will help us to deal with resource problems but note that I used the word help rather than solve, we will all find ourselves making changes to our lives over the next decades which we might find unbelievable to contemplate today.

But how about the simple practical reality that the average life expectancy in Ireland has increased by 15 years since I was born 52 years ago, it now stands at just under 78 years, that has enormous implications for our society and economy, many of them are positives but involve wholesale changes to the way we can expect to live our lives.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.