Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Bonfires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Halloween Bonfires

Dreading next week's devastation of the green space across the road and all that goes with it (the drunk teens, the fumes from burning wheelie bins, the wait of a week for the place to be cleaned up), I called in to my local DCC office yesterday to ask if there is anything that can be done to help prevent this year's bonfire. A most unpleasant member of staff dismissively informed me that it was up to the residents to sort out. I explained that I am a resident and I am trying to sort it out, so could I have some assistance please. I had hoped that I could, at the very least, get a number to ring if I saw a bonfire in the making, so the council could take the wood etc. away, but apparently not. I asked if there was a leaflet I could drop around to the residents in the area and he went off and he came back with ONE leaflet about safety at Halloween, then reiterated that it wasn't the council's problem. I had to walk out at that stage as I was so annoyed.

So there you go, I'm trying to nip this destruction in the bud, it's going to cause all sorts of damage, pollution and expense, fingers crossed it won't cause any injury to anyone, but DCC can give me no assistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm. That doesn't sound right. The council were trying for a long time to create designated areas under supervision with free firework displays etc.while removing unofficial bonfires. It worked pretty well in most areas bar the really dodgy spots. Dunno if budgets were cut or something. It makes our lives much easier that's for sure. I will make some enquiries and get back to you if I hear anything.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Firefly, I appreciate it!

I was visiting East Wall last year at Halloween and the Community groups and Council organised a great parade and fireworks display, the kids all loved it. If the bonfire was for the kids in the area I wouldn't mind, but it's just teens and adult yobs wrecking the place and drinking

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty poor from DCC

Budget cut's I'm guessing...withdraw additional funding for bonfire contol ,and spend a fraction of the cost hiring these guys....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few years back i was having a driving test prep session at 7pm in tallaght on 31st October.
    I came from Johnny foxes direction down the mountain and the first thing that hit me - before the hellfire club - was the smell of sulphur.
    My car was full of smoke.
    Dublin was on fire.
    It was like Vietnam.

There were about 14 bonifires on the route most of them on that green area near the Jobstown inn.
    Fireworks hit the car and people in fancy dress ran at the car like mentallers..

Sure tested my nerve as i drove the instructor around...
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are these bombfires illegal under that pesky Green Enviroment law?

Or does the government allow us to have them at Haloween, Have a bit of rubbish that I could burn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a Dublin thing? No bonfires down west for Halloween. We have bonfires night for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    A few years back i was having a driving test prep session at 7pm in tallaght on 31st October.
    I came from Johnny foxes direction down the mountain and the first thing that hit me - before the hellfire club - was the smell of sulphur.
    My car was full of smoke.
    Dublin was on fire.
    It was like Vietnam.

There were about 14 bonifires on the route most of them on that green area near the Jobstown inn.
    Fireworks hit the car and people in fancy dress ran at the car like mentallers..

Sure tested my nerve as i drove the instructor around...
    Did you pass the test?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flimflam View Post
    Dreading next week's devastation of the green space across the road and all that goes with it (the drunk teens, the fumes from burning wheelie bins, the wait of a week for the place to be cleaned up), I called in to my local DCC office yesterday to ask if there is anything that can be done to help prevent this year's bonfire. A most unpleasant member of staff dismissively informed me that it was up to the residents to sort out. I explained that I am a resident and I am trying to sort it out, so could I have some assistance please. I had hoped that I could, at the very least, get a number to ring if I saw a bonfire in the making, so the council could take the wood etc. away, but apparently not. I asked if there was a leaflet I could drop around to the residents in the area and he went off and he came back with ONE leaflet about safety at Halloween, then reiterated that it wasn't the council's problem. I had to walk out at that stage as I was so annoyed.

So there you go, I'm trying to nip this destruction in the bud, it's going to cause all sorts of damage, pollution and expense, fingers crossed it won't cause any injury to anyone, but DCC can give me no assistance.

Were you ever young yourself or are you old since the day you were born?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    Are these bombfires illegal under that pesky Green Enviroment law?

Or does the government allow us to have them at Haloween, Have a bit of rubbish that I could burn.
    I'll be having one this year and getting rid of some rubbish. I'll invite the neighbours up and we'll have a few beers and stand around it reliving our youth.

Mind you I live in the middle of nowhere, and as I am a complete hypocrite I'd like to see them completely banned in urban areas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast