Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipperary LEA Stats - what the reforms will mean....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tipperary LEA Stats - what the reforms will mean....

I've done an analysis of what the criteria mentioned in "Putting People First" would translate into if applied to the current Tipperary Local Electoral Areas (North and South)...

For a start there would be 33 seats....

The LEAS themselves would on the basis of Census 2011 be entitled to the following numbers of seats....

Nenagh 4.2
    Newport 3.6
    Templemore 3.2
    Thurles 3.5
    Cahir 3.0
    Cashel 2.7
    Clonmel 5.1
    Fethard 3.9
    Tipperary 3.7

Clearly a fair bit of amalgamation will have to take place?

Maybe Newport-Nenagh, Templemore-Thurles.... in the south things look more complicated....

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casualbets View Post
    I've done an analysis of what the criteria mentioned in "Putting People First" would translate into if applied to the current Tipperary Local Electoral Areas (North and South)...

For a start there would be 33 seats....

The LEAS themselves would on the basis of Census 2011 be entitled to the following numbers of seats....

Nenagh 4.2
    Newport 3.6
    Templemore 3.2
    Thurles 3.5
    Cahir 3.0
    Cashel 2.7
    Clonmel 5.1
    Fethard 3.9
    Tipperary 3.7

Clearly a fair bit of amalgamation will have to take place?

Maybe Newport-Nenagh, Templemore-Thurles.... in the south things look more complicated....
    Fair play for the raw analysis but from what I am hearing, things will be a little more complicated. 33 is the bare minimum that can be afforded to Tipp, but last I heard from councillors talking about the reforms, it was likely that there will be 37/39 councillors rather than 33, and if they have any input at all into the reforming of the boundaries, you can bet your last Euro that they will push for the maximum 40 councillors to be the final figure.

It is also likely that there will be 5 Municipal Districts, two in North Tipp, three in South Tipp. Nenagh/Newport and Templemore/Thurles. The other three, in South Tipp will be the strange ones.. last I heard, Clonmel will become a Municipal District by itself (it already is a 7 seater county council area.. but then it becomes massively complicated..

The original idea was a Southern (South Tipp) Municipal District and a Northern (South Tipp) Municipal District. But the positioning of Clonmel geographically makes it very awkward. There is also in the reforms a hope to create Municipal Districts around former Town Councils areas.. so, what might emerge (and it'll be a complete balls up).... is the following

LEAS of Tipp and Cahir become a Municipal District

Clonmel subsumes the whole of the Southern end including Carrick on Suir to become a Southern Municipal District

Cashel is the centre of a Municipal District, but extends into part of what was the old Thurles area (Horse and Jockey, Holycross, Littleton and takes back Cappaghwhite/Hollyford)

The rest of Thurles subsumes the old Templemore Town Council area

And finally Nenagh Newport takes a little off the top end of Templemore and becomes the final Municipal District

You'll have 5 districts.. Clonmel/Carrick with 9/10 seats

Cashel/Thurles 7

Tipp/Cahir 7

Thurles/Templemore 7

Nenagh/Newport 8

38/39 seats with a bit of play to extend to 40 seats.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree the Municipal District Councils idea will be a balls up... it assumes that towns are nicely spatially distributed from each other, each with their own hinterland - which they ain't.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The one sure thing is that there will be blood on the floor in the local elections in 2014.
    TiobradÁrann

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lots of councillors, especially LAbour ones will take the Redundancy and run. The big wards are a god-send for FF and SF who will pick up loads of seats.
    I predict ROC will take a seat if he runs. He would be an addition, even though I would probably agree with about 5% of his policy views.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    Lots of councillors, especially LAbour ones will take the Redundancy and run. The big wards are a god-send for FF and SF who will pick up loads of seats.
    I predict ROC will take a seat if he runs. He would be an addition, even though I would probably agree with about 5% of his policy views.
    Thanks for that.. I think...

I do also think that there will be a run for the door regarding the "redundancy" payment.. but not as much as there was when it was originally brought it.. then if you ran and lost, you lost the parachute payment.. now if you run and lose, you still get the payment

However, a campaign could cost upwards of 20 grand for some candidates... and they may not want to take a chance with that money, especially as the areas are all over the place..

The nomination processes should be some craic though.. maybe parties can adopt the "primaries" system from the States... otherwise, you're goign to have quite a few "gene pool" type Indo's from all the parties running..

30 name ballot papers..

2/3 day counting sessions..

Woohoo....
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Fair play for the raw analysis but from what I am hearing, things will be a little more complicated. 33 is the bare minimum that can be afforded to Tipp, but last I heard from councillors talking about the reforms, it was likely that there will be 37/39 councillors rather than 33, and if they have any input at all into the reforming of the boundaries, you can bet your last Euro that they will push for the maximum 40 councillors to be the final figure.

It is also likely that there will be 5 Municipal Districts, two in North Tipp, three in South Tipp. Nenagh/Newport and Templemore/Thurles. The other three, in South Tipp will be the strange ones.. last I heard, Clonmel will become a Municipal District by itself (it already is a 7 seater county council area.. but then it becomes massively complicated..

The original idea was a Southern (South Tipp) Municipal District and a Northern (South Tipp) Municipal District. But the positioning of Clonmel geographically makes it very awkward. There is also in the reforms a hope to create Municipal Districts around former Town Councils areas.. so, what might emerge (and it'll be a complete balls up).... is the following

LEAS of Tipp and Cahir become a Municipal District

Clonmel subsumes the whole of the Southern end including Carrick on Suir to become a Southern Municipal District

Cashel is the centre of a Municipal District, but extends into part of what was the old Thurles area (Horse and Jockey, Holycross, Littleton and takes back Cappaghwhite/Hollyford)

The rest of Thurles subsumes the old Templemore Town Council area

And finally Nenagh Newport takes a little off the top end of Templemore and becomes the final Municipal District

You'll have 5 districts.. Clonmel/Carrick with 9/10 seats

Cashel/Thurles 7

Tipp/Cahir 7

Thurles/Templemore 7

Nenagh/Newport 8

38/39 seats with a bit of play to extend to 40 seats.
    How are you getting those numbers?

If its going to be a ratio of 1:5000 then Tipp would be entitled to 32 councillors. Will they an extra councillor for the lost town councils?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    How are you getting those numbers?

If its going to be a ratio of 1:5000 then Tipp would be entitled to 32 councillors. Will they an extra councillor for the lost town councils?
    will be likely to be 31 not 32 given penchant for cuts, about 30 too many in reality for what they will have to do....
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I live in Thurles and I'd get rid of them all.. Useless every single last one of them..

I know this is very very local, but as an example Drish bridge (on Dublin road) has been down to one lane for the last 6 weeks and still no sign of it being finished. It's a 10 meter stretch of road.. The mind boggles..

Town councils should be done away with period (as our American cousins would say) and county councils reduced by at least half..
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    I live in Thurles and I'd get rid of them all.. Useless every single last one of them.. I know this is very very local, but as an example Drish bridge (on Dublin road) has been down to one lane for the last 6 weeks and still no sign of it being finished. It's a 10 meter stretch of road.. The mind boggles.. Town councils should be done away with period (as our American cousins would say) and county councils reduced by at least half..
    Is that a National Route?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast