Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaceful Protest=Fascism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Peaceful Protest=Fascism

A Fine Gael city councillor for Cork, Laura McGonigle, Considers a peaceful protest to amount Fascism. Her comments
    Everyone has the right to protest but when you prevent the public meeting going ahead, it amounts to fascism. They weren’t genuine protesters.
    How would the Fine Gael party prefer the people of Ireland to protest? The nicey nicey organised protests which do little to push through real reform? It is time that we forget that type of protest and force forward with more of this kind.

I also think that a politician should have a basic understanding of political ideologies like Fascism, which McGonigle clearly lacks, or is it ok for people to accused other people of being Fascist, simply because they disagree with them.

Unrest breaks out at Cork City Council meeting · TheJournal.ie
    “The French Revolution was nothing but a precursor of another revolution, one that will be bigger, more solemn, and which will be the last.” Babeuf

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Can I come into your place of work and prevent you from carrying it out? Would you consider that peaceful? If you want to get into a dull argument on semantics then knock yourself out. The protest had the aim (and result) of disrupting the democratic process of the county. It's not on. She's right to say it's not on.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracchus View Post
    A Fine Gael city councillor for Cork, Laura McGonigle, Considers a peaceful protest to amount Fascism. Her comments

How would the Fine Gael party prefer the people of Ireland to protest? The nicey nicey organised protests which do little to push through real reform? It is time that we forget that type of protest and force forward with more of this kind.

I also think that a politician should have a basic understanding of political ideologies like Fascism, which McGonigle clearly lacks, or is it ok for people to accused other people of being Fascist, simply because they disagree with them.

The right to express your views does not extend to the right to prevent other people from expressing theirs.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The WP councillor is to be applauded for listening to the suffering protesters. FG obviously believe the plain people of Cork should shut up and pay up. Pig and grunt comes to mind.

Cork would be better off without the Council rubber stampers.

The FG anti democrat says:
    She said that the protesters were raising items over which the city council has no jurisdiction, such as bailing out the bond holders.
    But when Mayor McSwiney dies on hunger strike, far from Shandon Bells, many bodies passed motions in support. Does she think they were wrong to support McSwiney? God help anyone depending on her and her public teat hogging ilk for support.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jeeeezz i thought the gathering was next year
    looks like it aalready started what with gimme mor getting pelted
    thousands marching against anglo in bally connnel
    450,000 with nothing to do
    2000 SNA's with free time

hundreds of reasons for gatherings

roll on 2013

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine Gael and Fascism mentioned in an OP....3 posts in and nobody's mentioned Blueshirts???...seriously.....the trolls must be planning something.....

Dylan2010

the protestors did employ one element of Fascism , the statement is over egged but not a wholly incorrect retort given the circumstances.

often capitalized: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Can I come into your place of work and prevent you from carrying it out? Would you consider that peaceful? If you want to get into a dull argument on semantics then knock yourself out. The protest had the aim (and result) of disrupting the democratic process of the county. It's not on. She's right to say it's not on.
    Since I work in the private sector, that indeed would be trespass. When publicly elected figures refuse to listen to those who voted them into their job and pay their salaries stop listening to those people, what else do they expect?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    Since I work in the private sector, that indeed would be trespass. When publicly elected figures refuse to listen to those who voted them into their job and pay their salaries stop listening to those people, what else do they expect?
    Ah. So if I were a shareholder in your company it would be ok for me and 100 of my friends to do?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracchus View Post

Cllr. McGonigle is spot on. More rabble rousing and posturing from the loony left.

Quote Originally Posted by mary_queen_of_the_gael View Post
    The WP councillor is to be applauded for listening to the suffering protesters. FG obviously believe the plain people of Cork should shut up and pay up. Pig and grunt comes to mind.

Cork would be better off without the Council rubber stampers.

The FG anti democrat says:

But when Mayor McSwiney dies on hunger strike, far from Shandon Bells, many bodies passed motions in support. Does she think they were wrong to support McSwiney? God help anyone depending on her and her public teat hogging ilk for support.
    You are some muppet. Ms. McGonigle rightly said they shouldn't be talking about things over which they have no power. To do so is a waste of time.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast