Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How can a person get 465 convictions? Does Ireland have law and order?

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How can a person get 465 convictions? Does Ireland have law and order?

This morning I noticed in the Donegal Daily website a story about a man who has appeared in court with 465 previous convictions.

See: CO DONEGAL MAN HAS 465 CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS, COURT HEARS | Donegal Daily

Could someone please explain in plain language without resorting to dogma, how it is even possible to get 465 convictions?

Between being arrested, giving statements, a couple of visits to a solicitor and court appearances, a crime would take up most of 3 or 4 days for each conviction, which would mean that person has spent at least a full three years of his 39 years in court, speaking to garda and solicitors, if not longer. My brain has bother processing that fact.

People are talking about bankers getting off with everything. It appears that problem is at every level of society.

Bankers are still walking around without being jailed.

Developers have transferred assets to there partners names and the government has made no attempt to retrieve those properties, by seizing them and jailing both the developer and there partner for trying to evade there responsibilities.

Everyone has been angry at bankers, politicians and developers and rightly so (I personally would prefer a more medieval approach to dealing with them).

However I do not hear the same anger against people who have over 20, 40, 80, 100 or more, criminal convictions.

Someone who has 100 or 200 convictions has most likely caused as much damage to the economy of the country as a small to medium sized developer taken over by NAMA. For one criminal conviction once you add up Garda time, Solicitor fees, court fees, damage caused by the criminal, etc, it will run to thousands of Euros if not more. If there are 100 to 500 people with over 100 convictions for various crimes such as burglary, vandalism, drug dealing, rape etc, the cost to society in cleaning up the mess after them would soon mount up to levels approaching that of a director in a bank or a large developer. Someone with 500 convictions will have done damage to the economy at the level of a major developer.

Someone who has one, two three or even four criminal convictions, would not bother me, as quite a few of us have done at least one completely idiotic thing in our lives. Situations can arise that can set of events leading to a conviction. Leaving aside I think that there should be a law whereby you get ten convictions and you get automatic life in jail, I do think that once a person is over 10 convictions, they are no longer in the territory of being misunderstood, personal problems or anything else. They clearly are either a psychopath or sociopath intent on causing as much damage to society as they can.

There is so many problems such as developers running up billion euro debts, banking directors helping there rich friends, politicians helping there connected friends, heroin dealers, protection rackets, people stealing to order, vandalism, etc, that I would find it hard to believe we do not have a serious cultural issue of turning a blind eye to breaking the law, that we in fact need a serious cultural change to correct some of the problems in our society.

I would like to suggest that in Ireland we have a general law and order problem through every strata of society, from the top to bottom, regardless of social class, upbringing, religious belief, status or any other possible means of differentiating people in society.

What is you opinion?

PS: 465 convictions is not a misprint. It is the real number of actual convictions in court that person received.
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 23rd October 2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: addition

SeamusNapoleon

Misprint?

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusNapoleon View Post
    Misprint?
    No, it is for real. I have a good idea who it is.

There is someone from the same part of Letterkenny with over 600 convictions who I saw walking down Port road last week.

Dylan2010

I hear the law society are going to put up a plaque to the guy.

I would imagine the figure includes crime sprees where the criminal commits up to 100 crimes before being caught. They are all then taken into consideration and add up to a fairly hefty total.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corporal punishment View Post
    I would imagine the figure includes crime sprees where the criminal commits up to 100 crimes before being caught. They are all then taken into consideration and add up to a fairly hefty total.
    do you think anyone going on crime sprees made up of 100+ offences should be wandering about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't surprise me. The "justice" system is a joke in this country. While struggling businessmen are imprisoned for non payment of VAT on bloody garlic rapists walk free. Disgraceful stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm sure there are overlaps, but that shouldn't take away from his achievment. It just goes to show, if you work hard enough at something, you can still be ****ing terrible at it.

465? 465??? You are the worst criminal ever. You're the opposite of everyone else who thinks "This work thing's not working out for me, it's time to hit crime". THIS IS YOUR WORK. And you're awful at it. Surely after the 300th coviction he would have thought "This robbery stuff isn't for me, I'm off to do Marine Biology degree"
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Law in Ireland protects those at the Top and at the Bottom. It is those in the Middle who pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The guy had 465 convictions, a bit of a difference. Someone in front of a judge that many times is a clear indictment (no pun intended) of the failures of our sham legal system.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast