Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Derry gets "Top 10 in 2013" ranking.

Johnny Boy

Default Derry gets "Top 10 in 2013" ranking.

Derry fourth in 2013 Lonely Planet guide | Irish Examiner

Derry has been nominated by Lonely Planet as one of the top 10 cities in the world to visit in 2013.
    It is been a long journey from the wasteland, at least physically, which I knew in the 1970's, but even then its potential was obvious. Despite the Troubles, there was still a lot happening, much of it in the Donegal hinterland, both socially and culturally during those years, all driven by the needs of Derry people, at a time when the city itself had almost expired.
    Realistically the main benefit of this sort of accolade probably tends to be fairly short term, but it is nevertheless another major publicity boost, considering Lonely Planet's influence around the world.
    Derry has always been my second home, so needless to say I'm pleased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the right sort of investment Derry could emulate Galway and become a hub for Irish music, culture, the language and the arts. It has that nascent vibe to it already. Throw in its colourful history and you're on to a winner.

Castle Ray

Great to see a publicity boost and hopefully it results in increased tourism for the city as well as raised profile which can often help business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here we go again. Northern Ireland recieves another patronising pat on the back "Well done on the stopping killing each other thing" award.

If you look at the other 9 cities on that list, Londonderry/Derry should be nowhere near it.

Let's be honest here....it a cess pit of a place.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    Here we go again. Northern Ireland recieves another patronising pat on the back "Well done on the stopping killing each other thing" award.

If you look at the other 9 cities on that list, Londonderry/Derry should be nowhere near it.

Let's be honest here....it a cess pit of a place.
    Best.city.ever, well fourth, unless you're a Unionist, in which case, worst.city.ever etc.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    With the right sort of investment Derry could emulate Galway and become a hub for Irish music, culture, the language and the arts. It has that nascent vibe to it already. Throw in its colourful history and you're on to a winner.
    When I lived there, one of the remarkable aspects of the traditional music scene, was its genuine cross-community character at a time when sectarianism strife was everywhere. It was a genuine cultural pursuit and had no political baggage. Indeed I had brief fling with a couple of Protestant girls whose interest in Irish traditional music was far more intense than mine.

I hope that still lives on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    When I lived there, one of the remarkable aspects of the traditional music scene, was its genuine cross-community character at a time when sectarianism strife was everywhere. It was a genuine cultural pursuit and had no political baggage. Indeed I had brief fling with a couple of Protestant girls whose interest in Irish traditional music was far more intense than mine.

It does. The trad music scene is cross community in Derry. I know a fella from New Buildings who studied it at the tech. I assumed it was cross community everywhere?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's great news for the town but if there is an influx of tourists where on earth are they going to stay? Derry seriously lacks hotels and at present there is only one being built and it's a Premiere Inn on the outskirts. There were a few given planning permission but there are no spades in the ground. No chance of any knew ones by the summer! Very dissapointing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post

Next year's Derry Fleadh will be brilliant. Can't think of anywhere more deserving of hosting it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No Prague,Madrid ,Berlin,Brussels ,Rome,Paris ..........................

Load of arty nonsense.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast