Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fines Bill, common sense at last.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fines Bill, common sense at last.

This bill should have been made law years ago. Except in the most extreme of cases, nobody should be put in jail over nonpayment of fines or debts that are recoverable.
    Government approves final draft of Fines Bill - RT News

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see they have put in the obligatory could end up been taken out of your wages.Why do we have to fanny about and do everything half arsed. Just do it all ready and while their at it, anyone on welfare who's a serial anti social offender should have fines deducted from their dole like they do in Finland . Will that ever happen , will it fup.
    Gemakzucht.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    I see they have put in the obligatory could end up been taken out of your wages.Why do we have to fanny about and do everything half arsed. Just do it all ready and while their at it, anyone on welfare who's a serial anti social offender should have fines deducted from their dole like they do in Finland . Will that ever happen , will it fup.
    I'd like to be able to see the number of people in prison for nonpayment of fines/debts at any one time. If no longer necessary, would we need the current prison building programme ?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    Why put the onus on the employer to collect fines?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    This bill should have been made law years ago. Except in the most extreme of cases, nobody should be put in jail over nonpayment of fines or debts that are recoverable.
    Government approves final draft of Fines Bill - RT News
    That'll finally curtail power hungry and heroic Garda in our community who does not know the different between civil and criminal interference in the enforcement order sections. petunia

I got taken to cork prison before run sirens after before i was saved by the prison governor and spent xmas and new year with my family. petunia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a myth that the prisons are full of fine defaulters. Our prison system is overcrowded anyway, most if not all defaulters are processed through prison and are let out again a few hours after.

This seems to be a sensible proposal

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shenana View Post
    That'll finally curtail power hungry and heroic Garda in our community who does not know the different between civil and criminal interference in the enforcement order sections. petunia

I got taken to cork prison before run sirens after before i was saved by the prison governor and spent xmas and new year with my family. petunia
    We'll never forgive him.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the key for the Household and Property charges. Garnishees of the fines for non-payment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Why put the onus on the employer to collect fines?
    No big deal, same as attachment orders in cases of divorce.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    No big deal, same as attachment orders in cases of divorce.
    Fair point.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast