Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frontline 22/10/12: Shutting up shop

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Frontline 22/10/12: Shutting up shop

I have removed my self imposed ban on starting threads for one thread only to give you tonights Frontline Thread at the request of Norman.

Shutting up shop

Over a quarter of a million people are employed directly in retail and wholesale sectors and are doubtless hoping the next two months will be their busiest of the year. But with consumer confidence still on the floor, and details of another austerity budget yet to be revealed at the start of December, could this be the most challenging Christmas yet for retailers?

Do you the shopper have a role to play? A survey last year by Amárach on the impact of the ‘Guaranteed Irish’ campaign found that the average household spend per week on Irish products and services was just under €16.

The same survey revealed that if another €4 of that household’s spend was converted to Irish companies, it could create 6,200 jobs. Is that even possible for people in these straightened times who rather than ‘Buy Irish’ have to ‘buy cheapest’?

Shopping online might save you cash right now – but is it contributing to the death of your own town centre? Without a cut in commercial rates will empty, and often derelict, shop units become a permanent feature of our main streets? Can cash-strapped councils even contemplate such a move? Or is it only economic recovery which can lift domestic demand?

That’s Monday, on The Frontline, 22.35pm.

Are you interested in participating? Do you shop online for price reasons? If so, get in touch at thefrontline@rte.ie or on 01 208 2941.

And as always if you’d like to join us in studio email thefrontlineaudience@rte.ie

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online

RT News - Shutting up shop

Related Threads

Irish Retail Sales fall to lowest level in 10 years

Retail sales continued to fall last quarter

September was the most challenging month of the quarter, according to Retail Excellence Ireland.
    It recorded a drop in sales of almost 1.5% from the same month last year.
    It cites pre-budget speculation as the main reason, which caused a decrease in consumer sentiment that month.

The worst performing sectors in the third quarter were IT, which was down almost 20% on the same quarter last year, and gardening equipment, down 8.5% on the third quarter of 2011.
    Retail sales continued to fall last quarter - RT News

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaypurs Neutron, I thought you were going to tell us that Pat was gone.

Anyway, isn't this what 'taking the heat out of the economy' is all about; shutting up shop.

The Government have been implementing the wishes of our financial controllers to the letter in this regard and we are almost on the bottom now. Aren't we?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

harney said 'shop around' so that's what a lot of folk do, simples

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

most of your high st shops are knackered by rates, rent and insurance

we used to have a shop in town but i'd never again even consider it, such are the insane overheads

i can see the city centre in years to come being mainly cafes/pubs/restaurants with a lot of overhead accom

the days of going into the city to get a fridge, etc are long gone... i thought womens clothes shops might have had the best chance of survival after the boo.com disaster but even clothes are booming online with asos, m&m, etc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two things:

Gardening equipment down 5.8%----I did not need much gardening equipment this year because the weather was too crap to do any sustained work in the garden, or to sit outside, or barbecue, etc. And I'm guessing that applies to a lot of people...

Drop in sales of 1.5%----I am hanging on to my dwindling few bob and waiting for the budget. I read in some paper today that the Government is considering slashing tax relief on pensions which would reduce the pay of PS workers twice on the two deductions for their pension. Add that to whatever other pain is coming in the budget, and we might need our few Euros in the New Year....

If people could see or plan ahead, or actually knew what their payslip would look like next year, or if they knew whether they were going to have a payslip at all....well, they would not be afraid to spend a bit

But this recession has been driven by fear and vague threats. And people are not going to spend while that mood prevails....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder will this program completely miss the point and ignore online shopping? What are the government going to do about that? People even go into shops to see and try on products on the case of clothes and then go back home and buy them cheaper online.

Any program that does not address this fact is a waste of time. as rates etc is only a part of the problem for retailers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tks for the OP N,

You shouldn't ban yourself from starting threads, you start good threads,

However, I must point out the following,

That Amarach report is a load of rubbish,

"Guarenteed Irish" is not good for Irish business, in fact it is very bad,

A boxer never makes it on the world stage in the coach tells his sparing partners to go easy on him,

And the councils have no money coz they spend way to much on salaries & they waste what's left,

And retail is suffering for one reason & one reason only,

Nobody has any fckn money to spend!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

online competition is the biggest prob for a retailer, it's next to impossible to compete on price

rates/rent/insurance certainly don;t help though

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    I wonder will this program completely miss the point and ignore online shopping? What are the government going to do about that? People even go into shops to see and try on products on the case of clothes and then go back home and buy them cheaper online.

Any program that does not address this fact is a waste of time. as rates etc is only a part of the problem for retailers.
    "What are govt going to do about online shopping"

What are you suggesting here?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Tks for the OP N,

You shouldn't ban yourself from starting threads, you start good threads,

However, I must point out the following,

That Amarach report is a load of rubbish,

"Guarenteed Irish" is not good for Irish business, in fact it is very bad,

A boxer never makes it on the world stage in the coach tells his sparing partners to go easy on him,

And the councils have no money coz they spend way to much on salaries & they waste what's left,

And retail is suffering for one reason & one reason only,

Nobody has any fckn money to spend!
    Thankgod we wont be having a budget that sucks more money from those who cant least afford it and spend every cent in the real economy.

Oh Wait......

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast