Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Abstract Art a place in outdoor public areas?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Has Abstract Art a place in outdoor public areas?

I can't say I'm a fan of abstract art or abstract sculpture. I suppose, really, it depends of how abstract the item is. For instance, there is a thing standing on the Gooses Acre roundabout in Midleton, which gives me a feeling of nausea just looking at it. It is in a bright shiny metal, shaped like a cone, with a flat metal spiral running around it from top to bottom, rather like one of those helter-skelters. Given the name of the place, I would much prefer a statue of a goose-girl and some geese, something pleasant to the eyes.

The Angel of the North in England doesn't look too bad from the photographs I've seen. It appears recognizably human, as do the statues of Cha and Miah, a statue by sculptor Oisin Kelly, officially named "Two Working Men" and meant for the outside of Liberty Hall in Dublin, but which was never placed there due to some dispute, and was rescued from storage to appear outside the County Hall in Cork, on a long term loan.

Another piece of Popular Art that I remember fondly is a life-sized two-dimensional cut-out of a cow with its head out over a hedge which I've noticed on journeys home from matches in Dublin. I think it's in Kilkenny, but I'm open to correction there.

On the gable end of a pub near Holycross in Tipperary is a mural of Cork and Tipperary hurlers in action, a little faded by now with the years, but it still brings a smile to my face as I pass it.

Abstract art/sculpture, on the other hand, seem to have no significance for the ordinary person. I have always felt that if art or sculptor has to be explained to you, then it's not doing it's primary job of communication. It's all very fine saying that a picture/sculptor is open to individual interpretation but when confronted by those things, my mind is just blank.

I feel that the place for abstract art is a museum where fellow enthusiasts can go and talk abstractly about it. I don't think it contributes anything to areas in outdoor public places.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abstract art/sculpture, on the other hand, seem to have no significance for the ordinary person

I'm an ordinary person and I love abstract art.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The cows are on the M7 Limerick ring road section, and they are funny. Are they representational or abstract would be an interesting question.

Personally I find Gormley's Angel of the North somewhat oppressive in its execution, but his Another Place is much more interesting. Again, are those figures representative or abstract or somewhere in between.

I think the wrong question is being asked. I'd wonder why so much very ordinary public art gets commissioned. The Molly Malone statue on College Green is representative, but ugly as sin. The ball at Naas, Perpetual Motion, is abstract, but I consider it to be one of the best bits of modern public art in the country; it's witty, immediate and apt to the location. We need to invest in good public art, abstract or otherwise, or else just stop doing it entirely.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post

I'm an ordinary person and I love abstract art.
    Link?

Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Has Abstract Art a place in outdoor public areas?

yes, as long as the abstract has some sociological imagination and it is sympathetic to its surroundings...

Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Link?

Public Art in Dublin's Docklands - Dublin Docklands
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    None of that proves you're an ordinary person.

I like Rachel Joynt's work a lot. That Matt Talbot statue is a public eyesore.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good post Dorcha, and I must confess this is a thought which strikes me often as I do huge mileage and see all sorts of stuff that professes to be some kind of 'art' around the country.

A lot of the stuff is meaningless rubbish, and the fact that public servants are using public money to pay for it kinda says a lot about the public service itself in this area. It promotes a message of 'anything goes', even nothingness itself.

It is otf times hollow, vacuuous, without meaning, shallow, secular, wasteful, vain, venal and very much of the daft.ie generation, where value and price became divorced in the name of naked greed.

With 'abstract art' we are very much in the territory of naked emperors, we worship before odes to nothingness and think ourselves great.

Eamon Gilmore is one such bit of abstract art, a kind of an emperor in his own mind. Many of his citizens actually are close to poverty, but he is otherwise engaged in a massive battle on an international scale to make sure that the gender agenda is well fed, whilst wee Tommy's tummy rumbles. And he can do this, because we have been tolerating meaningless duplicity for years; where else did 'the scandals' come from? We have been far too tolerant of rubbish in our society, rubbish standards, rubbish representation and rubbish public art too.

Ireland got itself busy during the Mary Robinson/Dick Spring years chucking out babies with the bathwater all in the name of worshiping perfect secularism, and now we are left with abstract mediocrity, as we wear our sackcloth and sit in our ashes wondering where did it all go wrong.

Not impressed!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i like this one (let the dance begin, Strabane)

but don't get the balls on the falls (Rise)

Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    None of that proves you're an ordinary person.

I like Rachel Joynt's work a lot. That Matt Talbot statue is a public eyesore.

I know , I just cannot find a link to show I'm an ordinary person, I could bring in a note tomorrow from my mammy saying I'm the best boy thst ever pis*ed through mickey -if you like.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast