Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michaela Harte / McAreaveys Family sue Legends Hotel for 1.6m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Michaela Harte / McAreaveys Family sue Legends Hotel for 1.6m

If they win the case they will give the money to her foundation.

Michaela's family sue Legends Hotel for
    NO votes for Labour, NO transfers either. You sold the people down the river, payback time!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where are they getting 1.6 million Euros from, and in which location are they going to sue the company

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely this is entirely pointless? The money will not bring her back or replace her and may well bankrupt the hotel and/or its owners. If they want to sue any organisation then it should be the incompetent police force who completely screwed up the investigation and tried to create a fall guy by forcing a confession using torture.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by What the Fug View Post
    Where are they getting 1.6 million Euros from, and in which location are they going to sue the company
    I'd imagine that their legal team would have come to that figure after adding up such things as loss of earnings, personal loss etc etc.
    NO votes for Labour, NO transfers either. You sold the people down the river, payback time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whatever about the court case and any award of damages, this is certainly manna for all the newspapers who have been milking this tragedy to the max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    Surely this is entirely pointless? The money will not bring her back or replace her and may well bankrupt the hotel and/or its owners. If they want to sue any organisation then it should be the incompetent police force who completely screwed up the investigation and tried to create a fall guy by forcing a confession using torture.
    Good point, I'd like to know more about the foundation and it's work. Someone told me that one of the events during a weekend gathering of young people in memory of her in Tyrone included a session on "Rosary Appreciation".
    Last edited by Fullforward; 22nd October 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps they should sue both. I'd have sued the hotel alright. the donation of any compensatory award if received is to be admired. I think depending upon what way the law works I'd have sued the hotel as the first defendant. I would then leave it up to the first defendant to have the police force joined as a co-defendant if they so choose. That way the family save on potential costs should they lose.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. jings View Post
    Whatever about the court case and any award of damages, this is certainly manna for all the newspapers who have been milking this tragedy to the max.
    Tommy Gorman packing his bags again?
    The more things change....

Quote Originally Posted by Fullforward View Post
    I'd imagine that their legal team would have come to that figure after adding up such things as loss of earnings, personal loss etc etc.
    And 1.6 million euros just happens to be approximately 2 million US Dollars.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the hotel failed in its duty of care to its guests then they may well have a case. I am not familiar with Mauritian law so I don't know what duty of care hotels have in this regard.
    Surely this case would have to depend upon determining the cause of Michaela's death upon a balance of probabilities i.e. will they try to get the two acquitted hotel workers found "responsible" for her death and then seek compensation from the hotel for the actions of their employees?
    However this echoes of the civil case taken by the Goldmans against the Juice to effectively replay his criminal trial which didn't deliver the "right" verdict. That civil case was high farce at its very worst. As such I would not support any attempt by Michaela's family to replay the criminal trial so the "right" verdict is reached.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast