Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Referendum Commission misleading information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Referendum Commission misleading information

I'm sure many people now would have seen the Referendum Commission's TV Advert for the Children Referendum , if not here is the link

The Advert starts off with the following statement .

"A lot of People say we have no control over how this Country is run but in reality we have the final say on the most important document in our society . Our Constitution. "

lets look at the above statement a bit closer , it is correct to say that we have the final say on our constitution but even if we allow for this , it is untrue and misleading to imply that because of this we control our country .

The Eleventh Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland (Maastricht) inserted Article 29.4.5 into our Constitution . This Article reads as follows:

"No provision of this Constitution invalidates laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the State which are necessitated by the obligations of membership of the European Union or of the Communities, or prevents laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the European Union or by the Communities or by institutions thereof, or by bodies competent under the Treaties establishing the Communities, from having the force of law in the State. "

Therefore from the above Article we see clearly that EU law supersedes our constitutional law and therefore the Referendum commission are wrong to imply that the ability to amend our constitution means that we control our country.

So my questions are as follow .

1) what was the purpose of making this statement , is it perhaps to mislead Irish People into believing that no matter what happens they will always control their country or something else.

2) should the statement in light of the above , now be retracted and a public apology issued by the commission.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Oh My! We did get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning did`nt we?

What is already enshrined in law is. If you object to the Referendum that is proposed then go to the Op on that issue. Idiot!

Referendum Commission misleading information

How dare it mislead that poor information? What has information ever done, to deserve being misled like this?

I demand action.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tawdy View Post
    My Oh My! We did get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning did`nt we?

What is already enshrined in law is. If you object to the Referendum that is proposed then go to the Op on that issue. Idiot!
    I think he is pointing out that the Constituition is no longer "the most important document in our society" as it is subordinate to our obligation under the Treaty of Rome and subsequent European treaties and law..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Referendum Commission misleading information

How dare it mislead that poor information? What has information ever done, to deserve being misled like this?

I demand action.
    We need a constitutional amendment on informational rights.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    We need a constitutional amendment on informational rights.
    And on grammatical wrongs
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would question the "State as guardian of the common good"
    plus they aren't great at picking photographs that are on theme with the content of the referndum.

Referendum 2012

ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    And on grammatical wrongs
    In both official languages.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm really beginning to hate the idea of referendums...

They're a f***ing pain in the arse and seem to bring every nit picking anorak wearing arsehole in Ireland out of the woodwork...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I'm really beginning to hate the idea of referendums...

They're a f***ing pain in the arse and seem to bring every nit picking anorak wearing arsehole in Ireland out of the woodwork...
    What has Bertie been saying on the matter -
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast