Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115

Thread: It seems we are destined never to learn - Head shop ban ineffective

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member EoinMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default It seems we are destined never to learn - Head shop ban ineffective

    So how's that ban on head shop drugs going then?

    I wonder if "children" are still getting their hands on it in the same numbers as when it was available in shops with somewhat acccountable shop keepers?

    Trade in banned head shop drugs grows via postal system - The Irish Times - Mon, Oct 22, 2012

    Ah no, it appears that prices have increased and now there's no semblance on the control and distribution of the drugs, to the extent that a new one has emerged which has been killing people for a while now, in the form of PMMA.

    It killed a few at the Swedish House Mafia gig and then those two lads in Waterford, I can't see this having been sold through the head shops as they were.

    Another facet of failed drug policies exposed...we will never learn.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why not choose a thread title that actually describes what the thread is about?

    Bonkers, I know, but you should try it some time.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Some of us learn pal, don't take hallucinatory drugs.


    Simple as that.
    You dont need them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Boggle
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
    So how's that ban on head shop drugs going then?

    I wonder if "children" are still getting their hands on it in the same numbers as when it was available in shops with somewhat acccountable shop keepers?

    Trade in banned head shop drugs grows via postal system - The Irish Times - Mon, Oct 22, 2012

    Ah no, it appears that prices have increased and now there's no semblance on the control and distribution of the drugs, to the extent that a new one has emerged which has been killing people for a while now, in the form of PMMA.

    It killed a few at the Swedish House Mafia gig and then those two lads in Waterford, I can't see this having been sold through the head shops as they were.

    Another facet of failed drug policies exposed...we will never learn.
    It's basically what people said would happen though to be honest, the old system where they were sold as bath salts was dodgy as hell and it is just as possible that this ?PMMA? drug would have been sold through the headshops.

    We need a system where these things are sold through offlicences or some other fit-for-purpose system and which ensures that these things are at least reasonably safe and consistent. Either that or get people to finally stop taking drugs and we'd have to include alcohol in that as it's one of the worst going.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member EoinMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    It's basically what people said would happen though to be honest, the old system where they were sold as bath salts was dodgy as hell and it is just as possible that this ?PMMA? drug would have been sold through the headshops.

    We need a system where these things are sold through offlicences or some other fit-for-purpose system and which ensures that these things are at least reasonably safe and consistent. Either that or get people to finally stop taking drugs and we'd have to include alcohol in that as it's one of the worst going.

    Well you're preaching to the converted here, I knew what would happen and thought the ban was a massively retrograde step.

    I don't think PMMA would have made it through the shops, or at least it wouldn't have killed so many, I think it's telling that it's a drug that is sold post shop ban.

    Control rather than an outright ban was the way to go.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member EoinMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Some of us learn pal, don't take hallucinatory drugs.


    Simple as that.

    I'm not your pal, clown.

  7. #7
    Boggle
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Ever think of a move to Saudi Arabia?
    We live in an information age. Do you really expect people to obey drug laws when alcohol, undeniably one of the worst of them all, is legal?
    They'll just turn around and say if it's alright for you to get your drug of choice then why can't they have their's?

    We need to be adults about it and treat drugs based on their merits, not on legacy issues, and either ban them all or allow the sale of those which are deemed reasonably safe. Either way we cannot be hypocrites as it will just undermine whatever we are trying to do.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    26,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Biffo View Post
    Some of us learn pal, don't take hallucinatory drugs.


    Simple as that.
    Yep, spot on JB!

  9. #9
    Boggle
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
    Well you're preaching to the converted here, I knew what would happen and thought the ban was a massively retrograde step.

    I don't think PMMA would have made it through the shops, or at least it wouldn't have killed so many, I think it's telling that it's a drug that is sold post shop ban.

    Control rather than an outright ban was the way to go.
    That I certainly agree with but that control would have had to include rigorous testing and liability and they would have had to be sold as what they were rather than bath salts.

    The whole bath salts thing creeps me out tbh and I feel old when it comes to them as I was out of that stage when they came on the scene. It's worrying in a way... I always thought when it came to drugs and my kids that I'd be able to talk with authority but these designer drugs are something I haven't a clue about.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member TheMushyStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The People's Republic of Cork
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well you could change the title of the thread. We have never learned on a number of things so this isn't anything new.

    Put a ban on drugs or not they still will flow.
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •