Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shalom Belfast :How the Northern Irish view the Israel-Palestine conflict :a documentary

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Shalom Belfast :How the Northern Irish view the Israel-Palestine conflict :a documentary

How the Irish view the Israel-Palestinian conflict - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

Shalom Belfast.

In his debut documentary, Ithamar Handelman Smith captures the vociferous − albeit not surprising − views of Northern Ireland’s Protestants and Catholics with respect to the situation of Palestinians in Israel.
    When Mailin is asked about the understanding the loyalist Protestants like himself in Northern Ireland evince for Israel, he explains: "The vast majority of that community could sympathize with Israel. Israel is an example for the rest of the world, and I think all Israelis are brilliant people ... I will die for Israel, if needed, not a problem. The only place that I can put close to my heart would be Israel, because it is oppressed, nobody likes them, and nobody likes us."

Another nerve-racking encounter was with Danny Boyle, a pro-Palestinian terrorist and former member of the Irish Republican Army, who spent 20 years in prison. "I knew he was an extremist, but I didn't know just how extreme. He was terribly violent in his speech. He said Israel had to be burned down and all the Zionists thrown out of there.
    Is Northern Ireland the Millwall of Irish politics......and nobody likes us ! Having only the Haaetz piece to go on I don't know how much stereotyping there is. Hope the BBC buys it.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why did you edit the title for wes? The Haaretz article title is "How the Irish view the Israel-Palestinian conflict", no mention of this 'Northern Irish' [non] entity...

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Loyalists support Israel 3 fold, just like the 6 counties, it is a construct of British imperialist policies and like Israel, the 6 counties was founded upon colonisation and discrimination, and here's a good article, from a loyalist-'Ulster' nationalist perspective

blinkered loyalist reaction

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Millwall? I'd go for the Newco analogy, it's definitely more appropriate. Myself, CR and Legolas touched on this fact yesterday and the strange way in which the marching men of NI and their dancing around hate filled bonfires doesn't cause any sense of embarrassment. It's quite surreal in many ways.

Here's a little excerpt from a study into the matter.

'Unionists have thus experienced greater difficulties than nationalists and republicans in securing support and endorsement from any significant audience external to Northern Ireland.

It may be suggested that, relatively deprived of external support, unionists have been discouraged from further cultivating such support, have tended more to entrench their position than undertake self-criticism, and, in the words of one commentator, have "retreat[ed] characteristically into that sullen, charmless introspection which has deprived the unionist cause of influence.'

Project MUSE - Unionist Identity, External Perceptions of Northern Ireland, and the Problem of Unionist Legitimacy
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Millwall? I'd go for the Newco analogy, it's definitely more appropriate. Myself, CR and Legolas touched on this fact yesterday and the strange way in which the marching men of NI and their dancing around hate filled bonfires doesn't cause any sense of embarrassment. It's quite surreal in many ways.

Here's a little excerpt from a study into the matter.

'Unionists have thus experienced greater difficulties than nationalists and republicans in securing support and endorsement from any significant audience external to Northern Ireland.

It may be suggested that, relatively deprived of external support, unionists have been discouraged from further cultivating such support, have tended more to entrench their position than undertake self-criticism, and, in the words of one commentator, have "retreat[ed] characteristically into that sullen, charmless introspection which has deprived the unionist cause of influence.'

Project MUSE - Unionist Identity, External Perceptions of Northern Ireland, and the Problem of Unionist Legitimacy
    Great Link - cheers!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Unionists largely support Israel because they share a (ongoing in the case of Israel in the West Bank and East Jerusalem) colonial ancestry and a traditional distrust of the pre-existing population. Another aspect of this is the Protestant fundamentalist belief that supporting Israel is a religious duty to bring about the Second Coming.
    Save the 27th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The Unionists largely support Israel because they share a (ongoing in the case of Israel in the West Bank and East Jerusalem) colonial ancestry and a traditional distrust of the pre-existing population. Another aspect of this is the Protestant fundamentalist belief that supporting Israel is a religious duty to bring about the Second Coming.
    Maybe we can do a historical full circle here when we recall that Oliver (************************bag) Cromwell invited the Jews to England on the grounds that this would accelerate the second coming of the Lord.
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds very similar to a programme made by Israeli Television about a decade ago. (RTÉ made a reciprocal programme called Balance of Fear)

Lessons from Belfast - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

"Wailing Walls" is not a documentary about Jerusalem, where its creator was born and raised. This latest film by veteran Israeli journalist and filmmaker Yehuda Litani is shot in and around Belfast, at the epicenter of the conflict in Northern Ireland.
    Litani approached veteran Irish television journalist and writer, Brendan O'Brien, who agreed to be his counterpart. O'Brien's corresponding film, "Balance of Fear," has already been broadcast in Ireland; it will be screened in Israel later this year.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do I view it?

I don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    Maybe we can do a historical full circle here when we recall that Oliver (************************bag) Cromwell invited the Jews to England on the grounds that this would accelerate the second coming of the Lord.
    It should put the OP to bed,but it wont.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast