Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about car insurance - not specifically about male-female drivers

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question about car insurance - not specifically about male-female drivers

This deserves its own thread.

Has there ever been any objective data about a person's measurable driving habits that correlates well with their overall risk of being in a crash?

Note: I said driving habits. Not age or gender.

I'm thinking about electronic data that would be possible to measure. For instance, the radar tech that tells you how far you are from the wall behind you should also be able to tell how closely you tailgate the driver in front. It seems intuitive to say that people who habitually drive close to the car in front will usually crash more often, although I'd need to see proper field data to reach that conclusion.

But a simple recording of speed would also provide good data, I assume.

Has this ever been seriously tried? Or even proposed? Imagine: an insurance system where your premiums are based on how you drive, as measured by unbiased electronic devices, not your age or gender.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait till the new driver licencing legislation kicks in, next year then most of you will get a bloody nose!!!

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by feargach View Post

Has there ever been any objective data about a person's measurable driving habits that correlates well with their overall risk of being in a crash?

I'm thinking about electronic data that would be possible to measure. For instance, the radar tech that tells you how far you are from the wall behind you should also be able to tell how closely you tailgate the driver in front. It seems intuitive to say that people who habitually drive close to the car in front will usually crash more often, although I'd need to see proper field data to reach that conclusion.

Has this ever been seriously tried? Or even proposed? Imagine: an insurance system where your premiums are based on how you drive, as measured by unbiased electronic devices, not your age or gender.
    Actuaries spend their entire working lives assessing these risks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Actuaries spend their entire working lives assessing these risks.
    Actuaries spend their entire working lives poring over data from electronic devices that measure individual drivers' driving habits? News to me. I have never heard of anyone I've ever known having an electronic device fitted to their car that would allow their driving habits to be measured.

Does such technology exist? Yes. Is it affordable? Yes.

So why not deploy it to test each driver's habitual behaviour fairly?

I'm willing to bet a ton that 99% of licensed drivers who cause fatal collisions drove like flawless angels on their driving tests. It's clearly a flawed measure of suitability to drive and should be augmented immediately by electronic habit-measurement, if habit-measurement proves to be a statistically-valid predictor of car crashes.

Argument against that?

Please god don't give me that "Big Brother" nonsense. Your right to not have your driving habits scrutinised ends the moment you drive onto a public road where other peoples' lives are in your hands.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Actuaries spend their entire working lives poring over data from electronic devices that measure individual drivers' driving habits? News to me. I have never heard of anyone I've ever known having an electronic device fitted to their car that would allow their driving habits to be measured.

I'm willing to bet a ton that 99% of licensed drivers who cause fatal collisions drove like flawless angels on their driving tests. It's clearly a flawed measure of suitability to drive and should be augmented immediately by electronic habit-measurement, if habit-measurement proves to be a statistically-valid predictor of car crashes.

Argument against that?

Please god don't give me that "Big Brother" nonsense. Your right to not have your driving habits scrutinised ends the moment you drive onto a public road where other peoples' lives are in your hands.
    Do you drive?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Argument against that?

I replied directly to the question that you asked which was:
    Actuaries spend their entire careers making these assessments based on enormous amounts of data.

You are proposing an alternative type of data and a means to trap it.

That's a different matter.

I answered the question that you posed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it's known as telematic insurance and it's been done, but hasn't taken off yet in a big way. Aviva tried it in the UK.

Recent changes forcing unisex rates may revive it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telematics

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BTW your habitual driving habits are only one component of your insurance. Your address, your profession etc are taken into account.

Myself and some colleagues had some fun a few months ago when we mounted a competition to see who could get the highest insurance quote online by using false details etc. Address was a surprisingly big contributor to the quote.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!

Trials conducted by Norwich Union in 2005 have found that young drivers (18 to 23 year olds) signing up for telematic auto insurance have had a 20% lower accident rate than average.
    Wow! Why hasn't this been made mandatory? How many cemeteries have we needlessly filled since 2005 by failing to impose this all over the country?

Was it really worth it, losing all those people for the dubious luxury of not having telematic measuring?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast