Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Recycling'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 'Recycling'

Interesting story from the Sunday Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...p-1062046.html

Apparently a lot of waste that is meant to be recycled is in fact going to landfill.

The Oxigen group has confirmed that almost all of its waste from its Robin Hood facility, and over 60 per cent of waste (35,000 tonnes) from its Dundalk facility, had been consigned to landfill in 2006.

In the same year, of the total waste content that the Thornton's waste management company sent to its facility on Killeen Road in Dundalk, 59 per cent ended up in a landfill, in comparison to the 41 per cent which has been recycled.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No surprises there.

Neither any surprises in the fact that we as a nation continue to produce vast mountains of unnecessary waste. One of the many imbecilic faces of the free market.

We have so much money we're perfectly happy to buy these ludicrous quantities of waste several times over.
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when creating them

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. I can't close my recyclable rubbish bin with all the packaging after two weeks. My landfill bin I fill about every 3 weeks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

doesn't plastic now bio-degrade ?

cutting down on packaging is getting promoted instead of recycling anyway.

also, burning everything in your backgarden is useful (long as the law don't ketchya)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Landfill is disastrous for the environment. Much, much worse than modern incinerators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I am dreadful when it comes to recycling. I have a black bin and a green bin and I could sell the green bin as new. I have never used it. Everytime I go shopping i buy plastic bags to bring the stuff home in. I wouldn't know where the nearest bottle bank is. Everything gets thrown in the black bin and that gets collected every week. Where it ends up, I couldn't care less.

Whenever I hear about recycling I'm reminded of Churchill asking the British people to hand in all their steel amd metal which, he said, would be melted down and used to make guns, bullets, weapons etc. to fight the germans. Most of it was just scrapped and wasn't used for anything at all, but it made the people feel they were doing something for the good for their country. To me recycling is the same. Everybody seperates rubbish and trundles down to bottle banks and switches off lights and pulls out plugs and everyone feels like theyre doing something for the good of the planet. And in the meantime the ozone is still in sh*te. The power of one is a PR exercise in propaganda. And as for staying home in Ireland to reduce my carbon footprint? I don't think so!
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree but guess we have to do our bit. Considering China is building one new coal burning power station every week, even a huge decrease in Ireland's emissions is but a microscopic blip in the greater scheme of things.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Better that it go into landfill here rather than be shipped around the world for "recycling" in a landfill in india or china.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim
    Well I am dreadful when it comes to recycling. I have a black bin and a green bin and I could sell the green bin as new. I have never used it. Everytime I go shopping i buy plastic bags to bring the stuff home in. I wouldn't know where the nearest bottle bank is. Everything gets thrown in the black bin and that gets collected every week. Where it ends up, I couldn't care less.

Whenever I hear about recycling I'm reminded of Churchill asking the British people to hand in all their steel amd metal which, he said, would be melted down and used to make guns, bullets, weapons etc. to fight the germans. Most of it was just scrapped and wasn't used for anything at all, but it made the people feel they were doing something for the good for their country. To me recycling is the same. Everybody seperates rubbish and trundles down to bottle banks and switches off lights and pulls out plugs and everyone feels like theyre doing something for the good of the planet. And in the meantime the ozone is still in sh*te. The power of one is a PR exercise in propaganda. And as for staying home in Ireland to reduce my carbon footprint? I don't think so!
    What a pathetic excuse you really are. Maybe you should just f c u k off to Israel where you claim to belong to, rather than waste our time, energy, and landfill. Or are you too afraid?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You crossed the line there, FakeViking.

Post reported.
    We can turn the world around
    We can turn the earth's revolution
    We have the power
    People have the power ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast