Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dublin now has the safest roads among EU capital cities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin now has the safest roads among EU capital cities

All week, I've been noticing signs around the city, announcing that Dublin now has the safest roads when compared with all other EU capital cities. When I was waiting for a bus earlier today, there was a banner running at the bottom of the "Real Time Information" board saying this. I noticed that one of the traffic boards that usually tells you how many car park spaces are available in city centre carparks, was also announcing it yesterday.

Here's an example of the sign:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadS...20Hi%20Res.pdf

Do you have the impression Dublin has the safest roads? What further improvements do you think they could make to improve the roads in the city and generally in other towns and cities around the country?

One thing I'd like to see are boards at the side of the road telling you what lane of traffic to be in depending on whether you want to go left, right or left. It would be a lot safer.Oftentimes, this is just indicated on the road itself which is covered in vehicles, so someone unfamiliar with the area will end up in the wrong lane. It is currently a system designed for "insiders" who know their way around and how traffic lanes are ordered and it should be made more transparent to prevent accidents and traffic chaos caused by people unfamiliar with an area.

More signposting generally in the city would be good.

Another thing I'd like to see would be more bicycle lanes. Bicycle lanes should not suddenly diseappear where the road narrows. Roads need to be widened. There are some areas of the city where there is a lane of traffic or two lanes of traffic plus a bicycle lane, but the lanes for the cars are so narrow that drivers are driving in the cycle lane. This is very dangerous. Traffic lights should also be improved for cyclists so that cyclists can cross alongside cyclists. Contra flow cycle lanes on one way streets should also be provided.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any proper source for this apart from a motorway sign?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sesna View Post
    Any proper source for this apart from a motorway sign?
    I've linked above to Fingal County Council announcing it too.

Here are some other mentions of this. The source appears to be some European Transport report, but I don't know which one.

http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Road_Safety/...oad_Deaths.htm
    http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Road_Safety/...oad_Deaths.htm
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...324727714.html
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=10011
    Last edited by bluefirelog; 20th October 2012 at 02:14 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluefirelog View Post
    All week, I've been noticing signs around the city, announcing that Dublin now has the safest roads when compared with all other EU capital cities. When I was waiting for a bus earlier today, there was a banner running at the bottom of the "Real Time Information" board saying this. I noticed that one of the traffic boards that usually tells you how many car park spaces are available in city centre carparks, was also announcing it yesterday.

Here's an example of the sign:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadS...20Hi%20Res.pdf

Do you have the impression Dublin has the safest roads? What further improvements do you think they could make to improve the roads in the city and generally in other towns and cities around the country?

One thing I'd like to see are boards at the side of the road telling you what lane of traffic to be in depending on whether you want to go left, right or left. It would be a lot safer.Oftentimes, this is just indicated on the road itself which is covered in vehicles, so someone unfamiliar with the area will end up in the wrong lane. It is currently a system designed for "insiders" who know their way around and how traffic lanes are ordered and it should be made more transparent to prevent accidents and traffic chaos caused by people unfamiliar with an area.

More signposting generally in the city would be good.

Another thing I'd like to see would be more bicycle lanes. Bicycle lanes should not suddenly diseappear where the road narrows. Roads need to be widened. There are some areas of the city where there is a lane of traffic or two lanes of traffic plus a bicycle lane, but the lanes for the cars are so narrow that drivers are driving in the cycle lane. This is very dangerous. Traffic lights should also be improved for cyclists so that cyclists can cross alongside cyclists. Contra flow cycle lanes on one way streets should also be provided.
    I'm tempted to say that given your suggestion that subsiding certain people to take public transport rather than cycle or drive might help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Didimus View Post
    I'm tempted to say that given your suggestion that subsiding certain people to take public transport rather than cycle or drive might help.
    It's far better and healthier for people to walk or cycle than to take public transport.

We need an integrated and efficient public transport system. It is very difficult to get from A to B in many parts of Dublin unless A or B is in the city centre. A journey might take half an hour in a car that would take 2 1/2 hours by public transport. We don't have an underground system like Paris or London or an integrated public transport system. If we did, I assume far more people would use public transport.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Christ, now we can't even afford to drive dangerously...I blame the Germans.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The largest number of road deaths in Dublin are pedestrians and cyclists. Improved crossings and faster changes in pedestrian lights (smarter light management) would help this as well as allowing cyclists to cross at the same time as pedestrians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd imagine that Dublin's roads are safer, especially since you can't even move on them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Less cars on the road makes a difference , recession good for something!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Less cars on the road makes a difference , recession good for something!
    Yes, it's true that the roads are really different to the way they were during the boom. A lot of the time the traffic is flowing really well. Getting rid of the toll boths on the M50 has also really freed up traffic on it - only delays now are on some of the busy exits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast