Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence: Ireland's Nightmare?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Scottish Independence: Ireland's Nightmare?

What effect would a successful campaign for Scottish independence have for Ireland? Would Northern Unionists owe allegiance to London or Edinburgh? Would those of Scots Presbyterian ancestry look to Scotland and those of Anglo-Irish stock to London? What difference would it make to them if Scotland retained the monarchy under a Hapsburg dual monarchy-type system? It was suggested to me by a fairly intelligent observer 15 years ago that Scottish Independence would lead to civil war in Ireland, is that hyperbole or does it have any substance? I wonder if any unionists have any opinions, particularly on the question of allegiance..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no. 11754?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think if Scotland became independent nothing would change regarding NI.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Scottish Independence: Ireland's Nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger
    It was suggested to me by a fairly intelligent observer 15 years ago that Scottish Independence would lead to civil war in Ireland, is that hyperbole or does it have any substance?
    i'd be interested in getting the logic behind that theory if you can remember same
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But it would be interesting as there would be a small English speaking, educated, modern EU member state right next door to us and Scottish people ahve huge links to North America so why would a US firm choose Ireland when it can go to Scotland and have all the advantages it would get in Ireland but at a far cheaper cost base as the first thing an independent Scotland would do is cut corporate tax to a level lower than Ireland.

But independence wouldn't happen for about 10 minimum so with a bit of luck we'll have got rid of FF by then and have some chance of getting our competitive edge back. But will FG/L have enough time to sort out 15 years of FF/PD/G incompetence and corruption?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be honest scotish independent is paramount and it will be welcome in actual fact But i must say at this junction that whether the independent will affect some part in the republic it's a matter for them to address before the calamity hit them because they are pushing harder to look after their own affair said by the scottish first minister ''ALEX SALMON''.

I believed the scotish independent is now coming near after 33% of them want their future in their hand which will become a reality very soon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

paramount to whom? a 1/3 of Scots perhaps, but hardly of any great importance for the ROI
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbob1972
    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger
    It was suggested to me by a fairly intelligent observer 15 years ago that Scottish Independence would lead to civil war in Ireland, is that hyperbole or does it have any substance?
    i'd be interested in getting the logic behind that theory if you can remember same
    As far as I remember this observer (fairly intelligent and not given to overstatement) believed that it would provoke a unionist or loyalist crisis, that the connection with Scotland was the real link with the Union, and London meant little in comparison. He believed that it would provoke UDI by the Unionists along the same lines as Ian Smith in Rhodesia, and after that a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" to shore up the new state. It struck me as based on too much supposition but still plausible at that time, though that was back in 1992 and much has obviously changed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=toxic avenger]
    Quote Originally Posted by "toxic avenger":17c0o45u
    As far as I remember this observer (fairly intelligent and not given to overstatement) believed that it would provoke a unionist or loyalist crisis, that the connection with Scotland was the real link with the Union, and London meant little in comparison. He believed that it would provoke UDI by the Unionists along the same lines as Ian Smith in Rhodesia, and after that a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" to shore up the new state. It struck me as based on too much supposition but still plausible at that time, though that was back in 1992 and much has obviously changed.[/quote:17c0o45u]

Absolute nonsense. NI Unionists owe their allegiance to the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom would continue to exist even if Scotland left it. It continued to exist after Ireland left it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=toxic avenger]
    Quote Originally Posted by "toxic avenger":3fo1o1zl
    As far as I remember this observer (fairly intelligent and not given to overstatement) believed that it would provoke a unionist or loyalist crisis, that the connection with Scotland was the real link with the Union, and London meant little in comparison. He believed that it would provoke UDI by the Unionists along the same lines as Ian Smith in Rhodesia, and after that a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" to shore up the new state. It struck me as based on too much supposition but still plausible at that time, though that was back in 1992 and much has obviously changed.[/quote:3fo1o1zl]

hmm perhaps that may have been the feelings of a few extremists back then but i really cannot see that happening now (or realistically even back then) kinda reminds me of Eugène Terre'Blanche and his rambling of the streets being covered in blood in a race war if apartheid were to end in SA

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast