Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abolish Seanad Éireann and the office of the presidency

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Abolish Seanad Éireann and the office of the presidency

Does anyone feel that Seanad Éireann, should be scrapped, I feel that that this is not only a waste of time but an absolute waste of tax payers money, I also believe that the office of the president should be abolished, and that the number of TDs should be halved.

your comments please

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have already debated this crap on umpteen threads. Go to them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could not agree more and I have said so consistently. A waste of money and effort.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't feel this issue is crap, i believe the fact that the way Seanad Éireann's members are selected is an absolurte scandal and open to all types of abuse.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually think that the Seanad could be made more relevant, and more opened in the way it is elected. Regarding the President, I would like us to go more down a frenh styled system where the president is the actual head of the government and he appoints the government etc, so the president would appoint the taoiseach etc, I think also that the number of tds should be reduce to around 140, with around 100 elected from our current system and the remaining 40 from a list system, and I would also like to see that the elections for the dail and the seanad occur on the same day, thus preventing tds who have been rejected by the people been elected to the seanad.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These are wonderful ideas, but get rid of the Bert and his rabble first and while you are at it have a go at the Civil Service and their bank-breaking wage agreements and something radical needs to be done about pension funding other than just moving the age, but mind you it is a good simple start.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanley
    These are wonderful ideas, but get rid of the Bert and his rabble first and while you are at it have a go at the Civil Service and their bank-breaking wage agreements and something radical needs to be done about pension funding other than just moving the age, but mind you it is a good simple start.
    It is a bit ridiculous to start worrying about the Seanad and presidency when we have Bert and his cronies to get out. That is a damn sight more important. Worrying about the Seanad and presidency is a bit like being so worried about what to have for dessert that you forget to order the main course.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think we should keep the seanad but reform it and change the voting powers, at present it is a breeding ground for future TDs and people who could argue in an empty room. The president should have a more hands on approach and should be elected every four years instead of seven. It just gets too stale and we're going to have 14 years of the same president

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Abolish Seanad Éireann and the office of the presidency

Quote Originally Posted by mickinclare
    Does anyone feel that Seanad Éireann, should be scrapped, I feel that that this is not only a waste of time but an absolute waste of tax payers money, I also believe that the office of the president should be abolished, and that the number of TDs should be halved.

your comments please
    Does anyone feel that poorly worded and poorly thought out threads should be subject to some sort of screening before arriving in the latest discussion menu? You cannot simply aboilsh the head of state and why half the number of TDs exactly?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Abolish Seanad Éireann and the office of the presidency

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo
    Quote Originally Posted by mickinclare

your comments please
    Does anyone feel that poorly worded and poorly thought out threads should be subject to some sort of screening before arriving in the latest discussion menu? You cannot simply aboilsh the head of state and why half the number of TDs exactly?
    Ah sure, God Bless these people, they don't think things true...
    Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast