Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editorial Cartoons

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Editorial Cartoons

While flicking (or rather scrolling) through the current edition of The Economist, I got thinking about editorial cartoons- you know, those ones that make political points. The Economist's own incumbent, KAL, has to be among the best.

However, I reserve top position for Doonesbury. To churn out a daily laugh can't be easy, and to keep it up for close on forty years now is remarkable. Here's one of Tudeau's more recent classics.

Our own Martin Turner of course provides the goods from time to time, but day-to-day he can lag a bit. However, he did pull out all the stops for the last election.

While awaiting the next English-language tour at the UN last year I found an exhibition- Cartooning for Peace- that introduced me to a few new cartoonists. When you move outside of the English-speaking world it is quite remarkable how the tone of cartooning changes. The Palestinian and Iranian cartoonists were quite interesting. Their cartoons were much darker and more saturated with political intent than what we are used to. Here's one from Baha Boukhari, a Palestinian, and a couple from Hassan Karimzadeh from Iran.

The actual webpage of the Cartooning for Peace exhibit is worth a quick look (see here). It would seem the staff have tagged their own doodles down at the bottom- I certainly don't recall them in the exhibit in New York. I think Kofi Annan holding up a sign declaring "I am not Morgan Freeman" has to be my favourite.

So is there praise due that I have overlooked, or that I am ignorant of? What editorial cartoonists do other posters here consult to tickle their funny bones or to give fresh perspective?
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm very fond of This Modern World.

Nothing will motivate the lazy / apathetic / Americanised / west-British types to embrace their culture and the Irish language.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you post that last one on the 'Is there any weather that's not 'proof' of global warming?' thread?
    'It would actually give me the greatest of pleasure watching non-compliant taxpayers going to jail. That's the kind of person I am.' Bertie Ahern, 1993.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This Modern World can provide some good laughs, but it's a bit crank-ish. It unceasingly targets the same group: non-thinking Republicans and the mob they harness their sled to. A bit of variety would help. Indeed, This Modern World has a heavy dose of the superciliousness which makes bashing 'Liberals' in the US a popular movement. Perhaps that would make it a good model of irony- so we can finally teach the US what the word means (as I move further and further into the supercilious camp myself).

Doonesbury breaks away from such single dimensions by attacking different issues, social as well as political, as well as making serious points and developing characters as well. South Park on the other hand, quite a different type of cartoon of course but it is a socio-political commentary, turns its humour on anyone who leaves themselves open to it. Redneck klansmen and sophisticated San Francisco liberals are equally fair game. Knocking the same group repeatedly just grows tiring though.

But saying all that, here is an old favourite of mine:

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Financial Times had a story on political cartooning and Cartooning For Peace today (see here).

A certain line caught my eye:

“The thing about us wogs,” says Dilem, leaning intently towards Thembo Kash, a cartoonist from the Congo, “is that we borrow the coloniser’s pen, don’t we? Drawing is not part of our tradition.”
    Also, the article introduced me to Danziger- his work is really top notch, even if his views on Iraqis are distasteful ("they're not ready for democracy" and that kind of stuff).

The square root of the golden ratio times pi is close to 4, this product is 3.996168.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corkman2007
    Can you post that last one on the 'Is there any weather that's not 'proof' of global warming?' thread?
    Or any one of the many "global warming is a conspiracy by left-wing scientists" threads. Where did we get all these wingnuts from anyway?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This 1968 one from Paul Conrad has a certain resonance with today:

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And indeed this one from 1956 by Carey Orr:

Turn Back! Turn Back!

"Victory thru War" Delusion / Middle East Crisis / The Winners / War's Victims / The Losers

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today's Doonesbury made me chuckle:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast