Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FGs shocking connection with Real IRA Terrorist

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FGs shocking connection with Real IRA Terrorist

In a shocking development the Special Criminal Court recently convicted and sentenced a Fine Gael member & activist of membership of the Real IRA.

Gerard Varian (aged 46), was convicted along with four others of membership of the Real IRA by the Special Criminal Court in May 05. Varian the Court heard was part of a Real IRA active service unit in Cork City and also worked closely with the Leadership of the Real IRA in Munster.

Varian was the only one of the four to have a character witness give evidence on his behalf, one of whom was former Lord Mayor of Cork Joe OCallaghan, who testified under oath to the Judges of the Special Criminal Court that Gerard Varian joined the JJ Kelly Branch of Fine Gael in Cork North Central in 2003. Where he assisted him in being selected as a FG candidate for the 04 Local Elections.

Extract from The Phoenix 01/07/05
    Can someone from Fine Gael confirm or deny if this convicted terrorist is still a member of their Party and if so is there any truth to the rumor he is working to establish a FG branch in the Republican wing of Portlaois Prison?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First of all, despite the court ruling, there is no evidence to suggest he is a member of the IRA, as no evidence was produced in court. He was interned. He denies ever being a member.
    This outrageous slur is outdated and false. The RIRA have no connections whatsoever with this rump, Fine Gael.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    First of all, despite the court ruling, there is no evidence to suggest he is a member of the IRA, as no evidence was produced in court. He was interned. He denies ever being a member.
    This outrageous slur is outdated and false. The RIRA have no connections whatsoever with this rump, Fine Gael.
    The fact remains he was convicted under the terms of the law. If he wasn't a member why did he leave a wreath signed 1st Battalion, 1st Brigade, Real IRA on a Republican Plot?

Kenny needs to come clean on this...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: FGs shocking connection with Real IRA Terrorist

Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers
    is there any truth to the rumor he is working to establish a FG branch in the Republican wing of Portlaois Prison?
    Oh my God - get a ************************ing life

Has Moderation ceased completely here?? This is the 5th or 6th thread that this buffoon has started in the last few days, where he has trolled to his hearts content.
    On two of the threads he made potentially libellous allegations and no-one said a word about it.
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is actually the truth though, this was said in court mate!!! Much as you may not want to hear it.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

P.S at least this is factual unlike your made up story about a group of shinners who happend to get seats altogether on Sunday just so as they could boo at a minutes silence. Giving out about crap being posted? Those in glass houses should not throw stones a chara.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TKWhiskers, we understand that you're starting to get a bit panicky about losing the next election, but try not to lose the head completely! This thread is following your fairly outlandish claim that Fine Gael "had a bad week" last week. I can't wait till we have whatever would, in your terms, constitute "a good week".....
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster
    TKWhiskers, we understand that you're starting to get a bit panicky about losing the next election, but try not to lose the head completely! This thread is following your fairly outlandish claim that Fine Gael "had a bad week" last week. I can't wait till we have whatever would, in your terms, constitute "a good week".....
    Perhaps he has it on good authority that Garret robbed Shergar or that the Blueshirts were shape-lifting lizards driving towards a new world order.

I'm amazed at the current line of threads, and I'm just waiting to see where the next nugget takes us.

On the subject of the post - most parties work on an honour system which expects new members to 'declare their interests' rather than face vetting. This makes sense - esepecially in a fast growing party like Fine Gael. If this story is true (I don't read the Phoenix as much these days, and I didn't hear it on the mainstream news) then I think you can take it that the individual will be expelled. What do you think would happen???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On the subject of the post - most parties work on an honour system which expects new members to 'declare their interests' rather than face vetting. This makes sense - esepecially in a fast growing party like Fine Gael. If this story is true (I don't read the Phoenix as much theses days, and I didn't hear it on the mainstream news) then I think you can take it that the individual will be expelled. What do you think would happen???
    [/quote]

Yep, I assume said member will be expelled straightaway - And I too am looking forward to TKWhiskers' next post - probably something along the lines of "The potential alternative government is in tatters, and Fine Gael are reeling, from the hammer blow that is the news that Richard Bruton once said "bollo*x" while watching a football match back in the 70s.....
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers
    If he wasn't a member why did he leave a wreath signed 1st Battalion, 1st Brigade, Real IRA on a Republican Plot?
    If anything that's evidence he's unlikely to be a member of the Real IRA. Wreaths are laid on behalf of the IRA at commemorations all over the country. Do you really think an organisation of which it is a criminal offence to be a member identify themselves in this way? Generally someone is asked to lay it on their behalf.

I also would like to know if he has been expelled or not but I can't say it's the biggest issue in Irish politics.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast