Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Miriam and Martin, well what did people think ?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Miriam and Martin, well what did people think ?

Wasn't a bad interview.. but why does Miriam O Callaghan insist on trying to answer her own questions ?

Plus, why do people in the media consistently ask people like Gerry Adams and Martin Mc Guinness why they didn't take the "John Hume route" from the beginning and get involved in the Civil Rights Movement ..

This is how the Establishment in Northern Ireland dealt with the Civil Rights Movement.. in 1968.. 4 years before the British Army opened fire with live rounds on a Civil Rights march in Derry

Civil Rights March in Derry - YouTube

What the Irish media don't seem to realise, is that John Hume was vilified and hated by the Establishment in the 6 counties right throughout the Civil Rights campaign..

He only became a "political darling" of the Irish and British Governments, when the IRA campaign of fighting back began, because they wanted people to support a "political" resolution.. without admitting that they missed the boat when that solution was being asked for.. in effect they left the genie out of the bottle and only made John Hume a hero, when they were trying to get the genie back in..

Is it beyond most peoples comprehension to understand that... or will Miriam O Callaghan continue to ask really stupid questions without acknowledging what happened Hume when he tried to go.. the "peaceful route" ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marty (Nelson Mandela's pal, how many times he mention him in the interview?) He was very slippery on the remorse question, he also got very defensive when an IRA apology was discussed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Wasn't a bad interview.. but why does Miriam O Callaghan insist on trying to answer her own questions ?
    Because, you have to realize, these interviews are all about Miriam. It's the media personality that matters don't you know?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More of the same from O'Callaghan, frankly. I don't know why Martin bothered to mention victims of British/unionist abuses and violence as she quite obviously isn't interested. She comes across as remarkably clueless and seems to be willfully ignorant of the context in which the IRA came into existence. She's come across as a typical naive southerner.

Oh and her dress was an inappropriate choice given her age.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    or will Miriam O Callaghan continue to ask really stupid questions
    Yes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought M McG came across very well, despite the nature of the questioning. Becoming mainstream more and more as time passes.
    If i had a choice of politicians to share a beer and chat with, he'd be up there.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally I thought it was his best interview yet.

Thanks Martin.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really despise SF at times but Miriam focused far too much on the one subject. Issues such as the ability of the power-sharing Executive working together and McGuinness' resignation as an MP were neglected. The Troubles is a legitimate point but it shouldn't be the sole issue to be discussed which it pretty much became.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Martin spoke of the media down south being years behind the north to which Miriam said I hear you but I don't agree.

So if Martin appeared on a similar light entertainment show on UTV or BBC NI this evenning, can we take it the interview would of been very,very similar? I think not.

I found the interview tedious at times, a rehash of the same old, same old questioning, similar to that in the Presidential debate, would have liked if she developed the interview more around the recent handshake with the Queen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gave it a miss, to be honest.

Life is too short and there was a thrilling game on at Wimbledon.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast