Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese hold Protest in Dublin City Centre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Chinese hold Protest in Dublin City Centre

While making my way home after yesterday's 'Love Tara' March I noticed a couple of Chinese hundred people holding a protest beside the Spire. They had some banners in Chinese with them.

Anyone know what this was all about?

Probably the Falung Drafa(sp?). They protest nearly every saturday. The chinese abuct them and extract thier organs.
    "Are you telling me that a computer, a robot and my wife would create a "natuarlly balanced" society? The consequences are too monstrous to contemplate.."
    -farnaby.

I know many practitioners who still reside in China- I know one woman in her 60s who was beaten to a pulp and then forced to pay an administrative fee to cover the cost of her interrogation.
    The political establishment lacks both vision and courage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpeoplearewhingers
    I know many practitioners who still reside in China- I know one woman in her 60s who was beaten to a pulp and then forced to pay an administrative fee to cover the cost of her interrogation.
    Surely the U.N. will do something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Surely the U.N. will do something?
    Not likely. They have had more than enough time to act. What is being done to Falung Gong followers has been standard practive for a very long time to many other groups. I don't think they will qualify for an exception to be made by the UN.

What is worrying is that the Falung Gong movement has so many members world wide, yet the cause of the persecution is rarely mentioned by civil/human rights groups or our liberal media. Certainly there is no (sucessful) concerted campaign to raise awareness of this ongoing oppression. If anything the trend in public opinion has tended to go in the opposite direction lately. Hence Tibet has disappeared from the liberal cause radar in the last few years. I am not sure how to interpret that attitude or the reasons behind it.
    g4 ... e5
    f3 ... Qh4#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are usually 1 or 2 Falun Gong keeping a protest vigil outside the Chinese embassy on Ailesbury Road. Never asked them though if they remember filling in a census form.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man
    What is worrying is that the Falung Gong movement has so many members world wide, yet the cause of the persecution is rarely mentioned by civil/human rights groups or our liberal media. Certainly there is no (sucessful) concerted campaign to raise awareness of this ongoing oppression. If anything the trend in public opinion has tended to go in the opposite direction lately. Hence Tibet has disappeared from the liberal cause radar in the last few years. I am not sure how to interpret that attitude or the reasons behind it.
    I don't know much about the Falun Gong but if their persecution is not mentioned then that's hardly surprising. There's millions of people without adequate health care and yet the same media fail in reporting that in any serious manner. We repeatedly hear mis-representations of the war in Iraq, from the lead-up history, to death tolls, the oil privatisation strikes etc etc.

But when you say liberal media (as in the US usage of liberal) you probably mean the majority corporate owned media. I think the liberal tag's a myth tbh.
    Most independent research has found that the mainstream media are influenced by wealthy business and conservative interests.
    In effect, the corporate 'liberal' media reports on corporations a bit like Pravda did wrt the communist party - i.e. not very truthfully!

Given that, unsurprisingly, China's off the hook. Murdoch and Co. are making a killing there ye see.

watch the short clip
    TheMythoftheLiberalMedia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggest that it would be more accurate to say that you know a woman who told you that these things had happened to her.

Default the Irish times online covered the event

the Irish Times online covered the event:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaki ... ing20.html

For an understanding of why the press do not cover Falun Gong have a read of this recent article:
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/op ... _6092.html

Whats interesting in Ireland if you search the indo for articles on Falun Gong, you will find very few, they even published some and then pulled them from the web on occassion. But if you check the Irish Times they have hundreds.

My guess is this is related to the fact that the Irish Times is owned by a Trust and it is a big business man who owns the Indo, who has business interests all over the place.
    'Tis well said again, And 'tis a kind of good deed to say well; And yet words are no deeds. - William Shakespeare, The Life of King Henry the Eighth (King Henry at III, ii)

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus

I suggest that it would be more accurate to say that you know a woman who told you that these things had happened to her.
    I also know the chief of police for the city concerned. This is the least of their crimes.
    The political establishment lacks both vision and courage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast