Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Hogan - Details Surrounding His Resignation?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Phil Hogan - Details Surrounding His Resignation?

Can anyone recount the full details of Phil Hogan's resignation as Minister of State from the Rainbow Government in February 1995? There doesn’t seem to be much about on the net.

Does it have anything to do with the £4000 donation he received on behalf of FG from Esat Digifone that was the subject of an intensive investigation at the Moriarty Tribunal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Note to all: don't get Dave sued.

Defamatory speculation and innuendo will not be permitted on the boards. If users wish to assert facts, they should have proof of said facts (i.e. a link to a reputable news source), if only for the sake of the user's own credibility.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if my memory serves me correct (and I wonder if its worth bothering, because Barry will jump all over me if it doesn't), but wasn't that the time that Phil Hogan faxed a copy of the sections of the Budget in relation to his department to the media before the budget had been announced.

I think he sent it the night before the budget or the morning of the budget. Either way there was a furore about him seeing before the country, and leakign to the media and whatnot, so I think he was given the jump or be pushed speech by Bruton

To his eternal credit he jumped (take note Parlon)

He's still a political non-entity though
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TK, a warning. The following answer contains facts. You may wish to take precautions before reading:

As I recall he was Minister for State in Dept of Finance.

At about 1.00pm on budget day (end-January in those days) he released a press statement concerning welfare increases, not due to be announced until the budget itself at 4.00pm or so.

It was a Parlonite moment, but he differed crucially from Parlon in hitting the "distribute" button three hours early, thus breaching the secrecy of the budget.

So, you eejit, it had nothing to do with Esat. Or phonetapping, in case you're worried about that.
    "All employment is outright robbery" says Cael, the voice of reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My recollection was the fax too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the information guys. So basically the two are completely separate issues.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers
    Thanks for the information guys. So basically the two are completely separate issues.
    Separate non-issues, actually.
    "All employment is outright robbery" says Cael, the voice of reason

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nuj
    Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers
    Separate non-issues, actually.

The first issue was very serious - Was it not a serious breach of the official secrets act - isn't that a criminal offence?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    wasn't that the time that Phil Hogan faxed a copy of the sections of the Budget in relation to his department to the media before the budget had been announced
    Quote Originally Posted by nuj
    At about 1.00pm on budget day (end-January in those days) he released a press statement concerning welfare increases, not due to be announced until the budget itself at 4.00pm or so
    You're both incorrect.
    Phil Hogan neither faxed nor released anything. Naturally enough, as Minister of State at Finance, Hogan knew the Budget details in advance, and naturally enough they had their press statements ready to roll out after the Budget speech.

It was actually a Civil Servant working under Hogan that faxed it, in error, to some media sources ahead of time.

So Hogan followed the idea of ministerial accountability, (take note Cullen,Parlon, Martin et al.) and took the bullet for a ************************-up of someone in the Civil Service below him (take note Martin, Harney)

Don't know where you got the 4k allegation from

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChief
    Don't know where you got the 4k allegation from
    Transcripts of the Moriarty Tribunal

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast