Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The IRA and the Croatian War of Independence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The IRA and the Croatian War of Independence

I had a brief conversation with a Croatian taxi driver recently who claimed that the IRA supported the Croats during their war of Independence and a number of Provo volunteers even went to Croatia to participate in the fighting. The driver claimed that one volunteer in particular rose to the rank of Colonel in the Croatian army and was eventually killed in the fighting.

Has anyone ever heard about this? It seemed very unlikely to me I have to say. Anyway, out of curiousity I had a quick search online and found that an Irishman was indeed killed in the Croatian war (the source is a very creepy white supremacy website which I'm not going to link) however there was no mention of IRA involvement in any way.

I did notice that the Real IRA attempted to buy arms in Bosnia in the early part of the 2000's and that these were found in transit through Croatia, but that is about all.

So has anyone ever heard of this? Is it just a Croatian urban legend?
    itís the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heresay

Politics.ie Member RepublicOfLuas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope, never happened. Sure the IRA were fascist etho-genocidal maniacs. Surely they were helping the Serbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shutuplaura View Post
    I had a brief conversation with a Croatian taxi driver recently who claimed that the IRA supported the Croats during their war of Independence and a number of Provo volunteers even went to Croatia to participate in the fighting. The driver claimed that one volunteer in particular rose to the rank of Colonel in the Croatian army and was eventually killed in the fighting.

Has anyone ever heard about this? It seemed very unlikely to me I have to say. Anyway, out of curiousity I had a quick search online and found that an Irishman was indeed killed in the Croatian war (the source is a very creepy white supremacy website which I'm not going to link) however there was no mention of IRA involvement in any way.

I did notice that the Real IRA attempted to buy arms in Bosnia in the early part of the 2000's and that these were found in transit through Croatia, but that is about all.

So has anyone ever heard of this? Is it just a Croatian urban legend?
    " a Croatian taxi driver recently who claimed " Soem fellas from the reguliar Irish army may have gone over there, I remember a young fella from Cork who deserted the Irish army, went over there and lost 2 legs when he stood on a mine. Serious.
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

zoo this mods .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If all the users of p.ie facepalmed all at once, would it cause a wobble in the Earth's orbit? Let's try it and find out.

SeamusNapoleon

To be honest, I've never heard anything about the IRA at all regarding the Balkans war[s].
    I know some Croatian fellas too and they've never mentioned anything of the sort to me despite knowing my own historical interests.

From what I recall, it was a third-party conduit who arranged the Balkans arms deals you mention at the end of your OP, and thus wasn't really brought about through prior contact in the early 90s - bear in mind the attempts that were made in the Baltics also for which Michael Campbell is doing a long sentence. So I would say those arms attempts are more about the perceived opportunity to be had in former Communist states brimming with arms.

I think it would easier to paint the IRA as supporting the Croats as opposed to any other of the Balkan states given Croatia's majority religion and what I imagine will be ill-concelaed glee at making reference to the Ustase etc., so be careful what can your Op has opened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    zoo this mods .
    Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    If all the users of p.ie facepalmed all at once, would it cause a wobble in the Earth's orbit? Let's try it and find out.

Sorry, thought it was worth a question!
    itís the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    zoo this mods .
    Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know of one ex-member of the IRA who went and fought on the Croatian side. He now runs a shop in Dundalk and has pictures of himself in uniform with whatever unit he ended up with. I don't think he was ever promoted and he's definitely not dead.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast