Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cully & Sully sold to US buyer - A Good or a Bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maker View Post
    Tell that to Kerry, Glanbia etc, they took the LONG, SLOW ROAD, not the quick buck SELL OUT like Cully and Sully

Will the various Enterprise Boards be recouping the ACTUAL cost of their investments and expenditure? I want to know.
    And their enterprise and hard work was also supported by the taxpayer for a far longer period.

Of course as is always the case, the taxpayer merely backs the support of the SHAREHOLDERS who risked their own money at the start.

Perhaps if Ireland's monetarists and bankers were prepared to support companies such as this then the taxpayer could take a breather and companies such as this could expand globally.

The shareholders of Cooley for example did not receive a cent of dividend for over 25 years.

Put your jollies on the line and your rhetoric might have a value.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Gimpanzee

care to address tax payer funding of EI who consistently championed these guys, the compliant media that took the EI copy and ran with it?

how much have these guys cost the taxpayer? remember when they launched first the actual soup was made in France!!!

what have EI and other boards spent on this company? what level of grants / loans or otherwise ?
    No, I don't care at all really. If the grants are there and this company legitimately availed of them I can't see how it is remotely relevant. If there is a problem that you know about, start a thread about EI's policies.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not begrudging them one bit and don't blame them at all for selling. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

Doesn't make it good though for the country though. Ireland badly needs to build up its own sustainable industries. Begging multinationals to invest here and the associated overdependence are one of our many problems.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post

Put your jollies on the line and your rhetoric might have a value.
    ? are you suggesting that I invest in Ireland?

if you are, I have, significantly.

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Was View Post
    Not begrudging them one bit and don't blame them at all for selling. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing.

Doesn't make it good though for the country though. Ireland badly needs to build up its own sustainable industries. Begging multinationals to invest here and the associated overdependence are one of our many problems.
    Weetabix was bought in the past few days by a Chinese company of over a billion pounds. That doesn't make Weetabix Chinese, and it won't appear as no 84 on your takeaway menu. It has no negative effect on the British food industry. It remains a British company, just like Cully and Sully remains an Irish company.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Weetabix was bought in the past few days by a Chinese company of over a billion pounds. That doesn't make Weetabix Chinese, and it won't appear as no 84 on your takeaway menu. It has no negative effect on the British food industry. It remains a British company, just like Cully and Sully remains an Irish company.
    Not if the Chinese or the Americans want to move the companies elsewhere surely?! Maybe we should try not be so dependent on the kindness of strangers who owe us nothing?

? are you suggesting that I invest in Ireland?

if you are, I have, significantly.
    I am delighted to hear it and I hope that your investments pay off handsomely.

But so did the people who invested in Cully & Sully and Cooley.

As I outlined earlier surely the investors in Cooley had earned the right to make a profit after re-investing 100% of their dividends for a quarter of a century.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is disappointing news even leaving aside the grants question because I had the impression these guys were craftsmen who enjoyed what they did and weren't in it for the quick buck.

It is a pity Irish entrepreneurs do not look more to the German tradition of the Mittlestand.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Furriners stealing our indigineous industries? What sort of DeValera era, dancing at the crossroads economic mumbo-jumbo is that?
    I suggest you read this... it may expand your mind

Mittelstand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Germany's Mittelstand: A model of success | The Economist

Germany's Mittelstand Still Thrives - BusinessWeek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conservative green View Post
    It is disappointing news even leaving aside the grants question because I had the impression these guys were craftsmen who enjoyed what they did and weren't in it for the quick buck.

It is a pity Irish entrepreneurs do not look more to the German tradition of the Mittlestand.
    I was just posting links to the same!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast