Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Health Minister James Reilly receiving tax breaks for his mansion

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Health Minister James Reilly receiving tax breaks for his mansion

    HEALTH Minister James Reilly and his wife are hiring out their stately home for weddings and christenings while also receiving tax breaks for maintaining it.

    And last night, it emerged that Finance Minister Michael Noonan has no immediate plans to change the tax relief for owners of historic mansions.

    Dublin North TD Mr Reilly and his wife, Dorothy, who own Laughton House in Moneygall, Co Offaly, are among the wealthy business people who take advantage of the tax break to maintain their residences.


    For hire: Minister's tax-relief mansion - National News - Independent.ie

    I think there's a danger for Fine Gael that Reilly will become stigmatised as a millionaire landed elite. A bit like how Labour in Britain have successfully portrayed Cameron and Osborne as tory posh boys who are completely out of touch with the ordinary person.

    Is it appropriate for the Health minister to have a 13 bedroom mansion on a 200 acre site during times of huge cutbacks in the health sector? How can Reilly look a nurse in the eye and say we are all in this together? He should at least stop getting tax breaks.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence.
    Posts
    15,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    HEALTH Minister James Reilly and his wife are hiring out their stately home for weddings and christenings while also receiving tax breaks for maintaining it.

    And last night, it emerged that Finance Minister Michael Noonan has no immediate plans to change the tax relief for owners of historic mansions.

    Dublin North TD Mr Reilly and his wife, Dorothy, who own Laughton House in Moneygall, Co Offaly, are among the wealthy business people who take advantage of the tax break to maintain their residences.


    For hire: Minister's tax-relief mansion - National News - Independent.ie

    I think there's a danger for Fine Gael that Reilly will become stigmatised as a millionaire landed elite. A bit like how Labour in Britain have successfully portrayed Cameron and Osborne as tory posh boys who are completely out of touch with the ordinary person.

    Is it appropriate for the Health minister to have a 13 bedroom mansion on a 200 acre site during times of huge cutbacks in the health sector? How can Reilly look a nurse in the eye and say we are all in this together? He should at least stop getting tax breaks.

    Zoo.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    HEALTH Minister James Reilly and his wife are hiring out their stately home for weddings and christenings while also receiving tax breaks for maintaining it.

    And last night, it emerged that Finance Minister Michael Noonan has no immediate plans to change the tax relief for owners of historic mansions.

    Dublin North TD Mr Reilly and his wife, Dorothy, who own Laughton House in Moneygall, Co Offaly, are among the wealthy business people who take advantage of the tax break to maintain their residences.


    For hire: Minister's tax-relief mansion - National News - Independent.ie

    I think there's a danger for Fine Gael that Reilly will become stigmatised as a millionaire landed elite. A bit like how Labour in Britain have successfully portrayed Cameron and Osborne as tory posh boys who are completely out of touch with the ordinary person.

    Is it appropriate for the Health minister to have a 13 bedroom mansion on a 200 acre site during times of huge cutbacks in the health sector? How can Reilly look a nurse in the eye and say we are all in this together? He should at least stop getting tax breaks.
    He bought it fair and square from the money who worked to earn. What is the problem other than the usual bitter politics of envy from left wing loopers?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is the man who negotiated the exorbitant fees for doctors of medical card holders when he was head of their union. Then he decides he wants to improve an ailing health system. Just typifies the mess this country is in and the fact that those implementing the cuts have nothing in common with those the cuts are affecting.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Limerick East
    Posts
    4,610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by politico123 View Post
    This is the man who negotiated the exorbitant fees for doctors of medical card holders when he was head of their union.Then he decides he wants to improve an ailing health system. Just typifies the mess this country is in and the fact that those implementing the cuts have nothing in common with those the cuts are affecting.
    Do you think that ICTU and all their affiliated unions negotiate lower wages and work conditions for their members, when James Reilly was negotiating on behalf of his union he did what union negotiators do, he got the best deal he could from his members employers.
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    He bought it fair and square from the money who worked to earn. What is the problem other than the usual bitter politics of envy from left wing loopers?
    I'm not saying he's done anything illegal. But there is a moral question about millionaire elites slashing the public service and inflicting austerity while living in luxory themselves.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olympic Stadium
    Posts
    58,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad View Post
    Do you think that ICTU and all their affiliated unions negotiate lower wages and work conditions for their members, when James Reilly was negotiating on behalf of his union he did what union negotiators do, he got the best deal he could from his members employers.
    He didn't act in the national interest whatsoever. He just made a deal to make rich overpaid people even richer courtesy of public money. These mansions don't pay for themselves.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    HEALTH Minister James Reilly and his wife are hiring out their stately home for weddings and christenings while also receiving tax breaks for maintaining it.

    And last night, it emerged that Finance Minister Michael Noonan has no immediate plans to change the tax relief for owners of historic mansions.

    Dublin North TD Mr Reilly and his wife, Dorothy, who own Laughton House in Moneygall, Co Offaly, are among the wealthy business people who take advantage of the tax break to maintain their residences.


    For hire: Minister's tax-relief mansion - National News - Independent.ie

    I think there's a danger for Fine Gael that Reilly will become stigmatised as a millionaire landed elite. A bit like how Labour in Britain have successfully portrayed Cameron and Osborne as tory posh boys who are completely out of touch with the ordinary person.
    You reckon? I think a lot of people in Britain are p!ssed of with Labour... and even more so with Ed Miliband - who is every bit as much of a 'posh' boy as Cameron or Osborne...

    And as for Ed Balls - can't stand him either... total d!ckhead...

    Is it appropriate for the Health minister to have a 13 bedroom mansion on a 200 acre site during times of huge cutbacks in the health sector? How can Reilly look a nurse in the eye and say we are all in this together? He should at least stop getting tax breaks.
    He can own anywhere he likes as long as the money to pay for it was earned honestly and via hard work etc.

    As for tax breaks for rich people for maintaining their mansions... nah... not in the current environment...

    And as for 'we're all in this together'...

    I'd forget about that nonsense if I were you because it's been patently clear for years now that we certainly are not all in this together...

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Saith Cainty Dublin
    Posts
    32,856
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This thread reminds me of the day I had deja vu.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •