Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uplands Access in Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Uplands Access in Ireland.

I'm trying to get a copy of the document Labour brought out on Access to the Irish Uplands just before the election.

Can any Labour posters point me in the right direction?

Please!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.labour.ie/policy/listing/...221460487.html

I just googled it and that popped up, hope it helps.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine

Yes this is a nice peice of work.
    Whats the feedback from Labour members?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine

Yes this is a nice peice of work.
    Whats the feedback from Labour members?
    Do you think the party actually consulted any members about the policies coming up to the election

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this policy did not go down well with labours rural candidates or potential supporters, I challenged 3 labour candidates on it and all said they were personally opposed and they would oppose it if they were elected.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelman
    this policy did not go down well with labours rural candidates or potential supporters, I challenged 3 labour candidates on it and all said they were personally opposed and they would oppose it if they were elected.
    Do you know what the main objections were from the rural community?

I have read various articles on this and there seems to be some confusion on liability in the event of an accident and the idea that "hoardes" of hillwalkers would suddenly materialise out of thin air to walk all over farmers front gardens.

The MCI (Mountaineering Council of Ireland) welcomed the Labour paper if I'm not mistaken.
    I quite like it but then again I like the Scottish Right-to-Roam which is about 10 times more liberal than the Labour Paper, so I'm a bit amazed at the rural reaction and in particular the farmers reaction.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has any policy ever, in the history of the world gone down well with rural folks?(apart from giving them sacks of free money)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin
    Has any policy ever, in the history of the world gone down well with rural folks?(apart from giving them sacks of free money)

Cynic

And its not all rural folk. There are many B&Bs, shops, restaraunts,hotels,activities holiday companies etc etc who are begging for the Urban (Irish and European) Hillwalkers to come and spend,spend,spend in this country.
    Its landowners who are blocking this bonanza and I suspect because the universal question, "Whats in it for me?" is being asked.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The farming lobby are the main objecters - obviously the public liability is a primary concern. But the other ones include - not obeying "the conutry code" e.g. leaving gates open, littering, damaging crops and ditches, disturbing animals, starting fires etc. all of which have a direct impact on the farmer.

I come from a rural area myself and although we were not farmers I worked on farms growing up and I am employed currently in agribusiness. I also am someone who enjoys walking and can see the tourism potential in it.

What is needed is COMPRIMISE with both sides sitting down and agreeing a code of practise for walkers and some agreed routes. Also something will have to be done to sort out the insurance issue. Those involved in country sports such as hunting, shooting, coursing and fishing have done this in the past with the farmers.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The farming lobby are the main objecters - obviously the public liability is a primary concern. But the other ones include - not obeying "the conutry code" e.g. leaving gates open, littering, damaging crops and ditches, disturbing animals, starting fires etc. all of which have a direct impact on the farmer.

I come from a rural area myself and although we were not farmers I worked on farms growing up and I am employed currently in agribusiness. I also am someone who enjoys walking and can see the tourism potential in it.

What is needed is COMPRIMISE with both sides sitting down and agreeing a code of practise for walkers and some agreed routes. Also something will have to be done to sort out the insurance issue. Those involved in country sports such as hunting, shooting, coursing and fishing have done this in the past with the farmers.
    Having just returned from a visit to the Scottish Highlands and having experienced their approach to it, I think there’s a lot we could do here for promote the sector better. I’d agree a compromise is required, will be interesting to see what the FF/GP government comes up with.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast