Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will a FG/LAB Government rely on a corrupt TD for support?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Will a FG/LAB Government rely on a corrupt TD for support?

Michael Lowry TD looks set to top the poll again in Tipperary North. Thus denying any potential FG/LAB coalition a crucial seat from that constituency.

The former Fine Gael Minister took over 10,000 votes in 2002 and looks certain to top the poll again in 2007.

Given Rabbitte's past comments on corruption, one wonders will he bite his tongue and rely on Lowry’s support to elect a FG/LAB administration…

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what are they going to do? Lowry will support FG regardless of whether they ask him or not, how can they stop him from supporting them? It's a bloody stupid thread, governments can't help who supports them, its like asking would Kenny resign if SF voted for him for taoiseach.
    The King of Men

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think he means it as simplistically as that Blue.

I think TK means that if in the same situation that FF/PD's were after 1997, lets say two votes shy of an overall majority, would a FG/Lab government go to lets say for example Catherine Murphy and Micheal Lowry and ask for their support in keeping any alternative administration going.

This would come into play if Micheal Lowry asked for concessions for North Tipperary in the same manner as JHR did from the PD's, and as far back as 1981, Tony Gregory did for FF (or even Jim Kemmy did for FG/Lab in the past)

In this situation, would FG/Lab play ball with Lowry, or would they go back to the public for a new mandate instead of dealing with a man they percieve as tainted with corruption ?

I think its a reasonably fair question.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

......and to make the question even fairer; If FF were short in numbers would they rely on the support of Beverly Flynn?

I think that balances it out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parnell
    ......and to make the question even fairer; If FF were short in numbers would they rely on the support of Beverly Flynn?

I think that balances it out.

It's unlikely she'll be a TD by then so the question is academic.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But when it comes down to it blue is right, its not like Enda will be going begging for Lowry's support, doing any deals, his support for FG Taoiseach is a given and nothing can change that, if he puts FG in government so be it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Mac
    But when it comes down to it blue is right, its not like Enda will be going begging for Lowry's support, doing any deals, his support for FG Taoiseach is a given and nothing can change that, if he puts FG in government so be it.

But the question is would they rely on him to prop up their administration if there were only 1 or 2 votes in it... shows how hypocritical Kenny and Rabitte are

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers

But the question is would they rely on him to prop up their administration if there were only 1 or 2 votes in it... shows how hypocritical Kenny and Rabitte are
    Of course they would, are u tellin me that if Lowry supported a FG led government (which he will, whether they ask him or not), that Enda and Pat wouldn't form the government even tho it had support of the Dáil and would instead go back to the people. FF relied on Lawlor for a while you know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF relied on Lawlor for a while you know.
    I know but I thought Fine Gael and Labour had higher standards?

Quote Originally Posted by TKwhiskers

No, it doesn't. If they were to ask him for support, it would but they're hardly going to ask an elected representative of the people not to vote for his own choice of Taoiseach.
    "If there is a future, it will be Green." - Petra Kelly.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast