Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HSE abandons PPARS

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HSE abandons PPARS

Another white elephant for the government. It is reported today that the HSE is to abandon the controversial PPARS computer system which has already cost approximately 130 million, from an initial estimate of 9 million.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfqlidojoj/rss2/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heard this decision being discussed on Morning Ireland and the speaker said how despite PPARS computer system failing due to the complexity of the problems encountered, the HSE intended to ask the Department of Finance for the funds to adopt an even more complex computer system to replace PPARS, talk about not learning from problems encountered in the past but then why would they, no politician ever seems to pay the ultimate political price for their failures, dismissal from Ministerial office, they just get moved on to a different Department, Martin Cullen being the prime example of Bertie's failure to sack Ministers for incompetency.
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

computer consultants through out the country must be delighted at the news
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fail once=never try again ?

There were reasons why this failed first time, mainly due to poor governance & lack of willingness to tackle organisational reform.

Why not wait until the details come out this time - e.g. RFP/RFT etc - & then cast your eyes over them to see can you find real flaws ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opposition members on the old health-boards must take their share of responsibility for helping embark on this voyage of stupidity in the first place.

This is a decision that was just waiting for the election to be over. I expect the dumping of Evoting to follow suit fairly sharpish.

These people don't have the liathroidí for governance. I feel sick.

Anyway, don't blame me, I voted Labour.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why? Surely ultimate responsibility rests with the Dept of Health on this one.

And were opposition representatives in a majority on these health boards?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I seem to remember hearing a discussion about this in the past that suggested that most of the difficulty with PPARS was due to the fact that they were coding every little local union agreement into the system. Bench marking was a missed opportunity to get rid of all of these silly local agreements and restrictive work practices. If that had been done, the complexity of providing a software solution, similar to what PPARS was intended to be, would have been drastically reduced.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

time & Attendence, Rostering and Payroll software is very difficult to do even when local union sgreements aren't an issue. Plus the whole project was just badly managed, designed and coded like most Government IT projects. ROS is about the only exception to the rule.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The HSE abandons patients, so PPARS should come as no big surprise.
    'Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.'

Inigo Montoya.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast