Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cork Airport - What does the future hold ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cork Airport - What does the future hold ?

Cork Airport is a great resource to the entire region. It is a gateway for both commerce and tourism and as the greater Cork continues to develop, its significance continues to grow and grow. There has been much debate its future thus far including the thorny issue of the debt and linked directly to that our need to break free from the DAA. What do people think the future should hold for this key regional and national resource ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being saddled with debt is the biggest worry for Cork Airport. It looks like a strategy by DAA to keep Dublin and Shannon down, and whats more it is supported by Bertie.

It is a great airport and I have used it several times in preference to Dublin (I live in Wexford). It should be able to operate as a significant airport for UK and European flights, but if it is saddled with the debt this will hamper future development, and greatly reduce the choices available to it. In that scenario taking on a model similar to Charleroi in Belgium.
    When you're accustomed to ascendancy, equality feels like oppression.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cork Airport Rebelman is a fine job.... all the more so being very accessible for a large part of the Munster area and the road infrastructure to it around Cork being pretty good.

The debt thing is a disaster. Also Cork maybe needs more flights from the likes of Ryanair (who of course just moan and whinge about the Charges) and Charter Flights. It's European destinations while expanding are still too limited and there should be far more.... Shannon doesnt help in that sense.

Also it's high time it got it's share of transatlantic flights....
    I'm back after a self-enforced exile

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government must honour the promise made to the people of Cork for a debt free status. Any other outcome is simply unacceptable. The Airport is indeed a magnificant part of the infrastructure for the south of the country. The failure of the minister sitting at the cabinet table to defend the airports position is surely on of the greatest failures of Mr Martin.

The second FF TD elected in Cork South Central Mr McGrath openly campaigned in opposition to the position of his party. In effect four of the five representatives for C.S.C. are of the oppinion that the government must free the airport of the crippiling debt being imposed on it. At the end of the day will Mr McGrath do the honourable thing and resign if the government fails to live up to its promise? Like hell he will !

Ultimately the Airport will struggle on in permanent debt and will be denied the right to develope to its ful potential. A testomy to a weak minister and a Airport Board more willing to do the bidding of their political masters rather than perform the function they were ment to perform.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Imo Cork Airport doesnt have as many flights or flight destinations as it should.... is this in any way related to/affected by the debt burden it is shouldering? cos if it is then maybe ppl in the Cork area and surrounds should be told about it... instead of having to travel to the inconvenience that is Dublin Airport, or through the traffic inconvience that is Limerick and travel inconvenience that is 2 1/2 hours drive to Shannon Airport.

Cork ppl are proud of their City and County and maybe a concerted campaign is necessary to get them up and running and behind the removal of the debt farce.... Of course it goes without saying the the Cork Politicans need to do the same and stand up and be heard, including the FF ones

I remember hearing that an issue to Cork ppl before the Election was the debt over Cork Airport... i think if figured reasonably high up in their gripes list...
    I'm back after a self-enforced exile

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[start of snip]
    Cork Airport is a great resource to the entire region. It is a gateway for both commerce and tourism and as the greater Cork continues to develop, its significance continues to grow and grow. There has been much debate its future thus far including the thorny issue of the debt and linked directly to that our need to break free from the DAA. What do people think the future should hold for this key regional and national resource ?
    [end of snip]

Yes it is a key regional and national resource. I'm saddened though that there is no viewing area with a shop to enjoy this resource and appreciate aviation in general. Recently I had to brave the traffic beyond the airport so I could see the planes take off and land with my young daughter. Croke Park, Old Trafford - they all have a tour finishing in a shop. I feel the airport missed out by not having a viewing area with a shop, especially at the price of 180 million Euro. I don't see the airport as being for the people of Cork or the south in general instead only for numbers, a bit like RyanAir - "here's your cheap ticket, now bugger off".

As an aside I was a wedding a while back and the man next to me mentioned how he was at the Nemo Ranger ground one day and met some people from Carlow who had come down just to see the place. It kinda blew my mind but that's the gaa crowd for you I guess.

I'm sure Cork Airport will survive albeit rather slowly but with an overall price of as it turns out 220 million including the original debt of 40 million being reduced to 120 million we might has well have sold the whole area and build a brand new terminal and airstrip next to Amgen on the proposed Cork-Midleton railway line. Then there would have been enough space to transatlantic flights and no fog. Currently being the top of mountain means plenty of diversions to Shannon because of fog and no room for a longer airstrip facilitating transatlantic flight. We might have got a viewing area thrown in too

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would seem to me, that is Dublin Airport is the one with the massive wealth - and if i'm wrong correct me here- but they also get Aer Rianta's international assets. It's absolutely imperative from a base point that the other airports be debt free.

Anything else should not be tolerated.

Because if this is not the case, all it does is acknowledge the supremecy of Dublin - and by making the regional airports independent but debt-laden it will perpetuate an unfair advantage that Dublin Airport will already have.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes it was the DAA who made the decision to saddle Cork with a debt of 120 million Euro or wait for yongs in a netherland while Dublin Airport is upgraded. No Cork people were on this board. Personally I see it as a major slipup of the Cork FF & PD politicians at the time to see this coming ensure at least a member of the Cork Airport Board was on the DAA who owned Cork Airport at the time to fight Cork Airport's corner. I'd say there were smirks all around the table as the DAA made that decision. There was something also about a landbank at the airport for sale too but I'm not too sure what happened there.

As you say David Dublin Airport may now reign supreme with other airports being laden down with debt but I suspect we haven't heard the end of this yet. I don't know why it is but big projects in Ireland often seem to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane
    It would seem to me, that is Dublin Airport is the one with the massive wealth - and if i'm wrong correct me here- but they also get Aer Rianta's international assets.
    In brief, I think you are wrong. DAA does retain the international business. But it also carries the cost of restructuring at Shannon, Shannon's debts and most of Cork's. If memory serves, there's also the question of legacy pension entitlements. So the picture of Dublin being showered with largesse is simply not true. The actual situation is Dublin continues to limp along with an inadequate airport while its resources are used to prop up Shannon and Cork.

The problem with this is that Dublin is genuinely a national resource and the only airport capable of generating passenger numbers at a sufficient scale to support routes to a large number of locations. Policies, such as the historical Shannon stopover, that seek to promote the regional airports by hamstringing Dublin, strangle the country.

Lets also recall that the reason the DAA were able to stave off the heavy political pressure to take on the entire Cork debt was that they were able to point out this had implications for their solvency. Again, the picture of Dublin being given some great benefit by only having to cover most of Cork and all of Shannon does not stand up to scrutiny.

That's not to say that State funds (rather than Dublin Airport funds) should not be used to make Cork debt free as it does have a role in promoting regional development. On the same day that it was announced that Cork would have to carry some of its own debt there was a package of investments announced for the regional airports paid for by the taxpayer (regional airports as in non-former Aer Rianta ones like Knock). Those airports combined serve fewer passengers than Cork and make a negligible contribution to regional development.

The real question is why the 86 million wasted on the pointless toy airports was not used to reduce the Cork Airport debt where it might have actually made a contribution to regional development and the establishment of a self-sustaining centre outside Dublin.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Michael Mc Grath may resign if the matter is not sorted out satisfactorily?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast